The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sun Java System Active Server Pages 4.0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Planet_Master, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Planet_Master

Planet_Master Well-Known Member

I just added ASP on all of my servers to expand my hosting capabilities and this application has got to be one of the easiest and cleanest installs I have ever attempted.

In 2 minutes you can add ASP, ODBC MySql support and ChiliSoft applications without even knowing ASP. The install is fast and simple.

If anyone is interested in trying this out I have attached a 30 day full working trial. You can either purchase from Sun after the trial is up or uninstall (directions included)

Comes with an administration control panel and uses no extra resources as I have come to see. Clean install and instant activation.

Is upgradeable and has many add-ons for java systems support. Actually may replace the sytems hog Tomcat on my boxes because it does come bundled with Java System Web Server.

More info here:
    http://wwws.sun.com/software/chilisoft/index.html

----------------------------------------------------------
    Installation Requirements - Linux
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    This section lists the hardware and software required
    for installing and running Sun ONE Active Server Pages
    4.0 for Linux.

3.1 HARDWARE
    * 512 MB RAM
    * Pentium II or higher (i686 or better)
    * 200 MB free hard disk space

3.2 OPERATING SYSTEM
    * Red Hat Linux 7.3
    * SuSE 8.0 Professional
    2.4 kernel; glibc 2.2.5

NOTE: Sun ONE ASP may be functional with other Linux
    distributions supporting the 2.4 kernel and glibc 2.2.5.
    However, distributions not listed above have not been
    certified to run with Sun ONE ASP, and their use is not
    supported by Customer Support.

3.3 WEB SERVER
    You must be using one of the following Web servers:

* Sun(TM) ONE Web Server, Enterprise Edition 6.0 SP5
    (formerly iPlanet)
    * Apache 1.3.27 DSO
    * Apache 2.0.43 DSO
    * Red Hat Secure Server 7.0

Heres the quick install

wget http://www.planetgac.com/downloads/sunone_asp4.0.1-linux-full.tar.gz
    tar xfzv sunone_asp4.0.1-linux-full.tar.gz
    ./install.sh

Follow the directions, its pretty self explanatory. Watch for the login URL to you admin panel. It will be http://hostname:5100

It will start off with the user agreement which will most likely not scroll all the way down (About 34%), just keep hitting enter until you hit 99% then click a couple more times to answer yes for agreement.

It will ask if you want to install the Apache web server that is bundled, answer NO because you already have Apache web server.

When it asks to detect your web server choose #3 thats the easiest way.

Choose the defaults if you are not an expert!

Go through the configurations (Simple setup) and thats it!

On one server I had to restart Apache but it started right up and it can be done from the admin CP.

I posted an install guide here:
    http://www.planetgac.com/downloads/asp_install.htm

You have ASP enabled for 30 days free, what you want to do after that is up to you but test it out and I guarantee it will be an invaluable resource for attracting new customers.

You can delete:
    EULA
    install.sh
    QuickStart
    README
    README.patch_4.0.1
    THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.txt
    after install.

I will answer/support your questions but this is a very easy install.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: Red Hat Linux 7.3

#1 Planet_Master, Nov 9, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

$495 per server, though. For me, I'd need about 8 more customers just to break even on that. Don't most people who want asp go to windows servers?

3. Planet_Master

Yeah it is pricey. And for windows, hey why lose those customers? This is an excellent alternative and it is true ASP not the Apache ASP they have in layer 1.

I guess this would be more suitable for medium to larger sized hosts but since we get so many requests for ASP capabilities it is worth it for me at least. I have lost many potential customers because ASP wasn't available but now I can feature this and keep those users interested.

For me it is worth is but it is solely at a hosts discretion to add this application. If however one is thinking of ASP then this is certainly the way to go. Very stable and strong program.

I would suggest trying out for yourself because there are no repercussions to installing and its an easy uninstall.

4. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I've never had any requests for ASP, but I see your point now. I'll have to pass on it, because I'm just a little host. Thanks for all your help, though. You've been very generous with sharing your experiences with chilisoft and tomcat.

5. ricoche

ricoche Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Thanks for the information. I installed this without any problems at all. Now Ihave to figure out how to work with the databases and find some nice ASP scripts to try.

For some reason I was always under the impression that this was a difficult and/or buggy system to install. Initially, it seems this is quite the opposite.

Of course.. knock on wood.

Thanks again,

Ricoche :D

6. Planet_Master

Like I said in my post this was the easiest install I have ever done. I too was hesitant because I thought it invloved allot of congfiguring and compiling but Sun does it all for you and it is so damn stable. Of course you can configure many aspects of the applications to achieve different uses but even thats all explained thoroughly in the user administration.

2 thumbs up for Sun ASP!

When I logged into my admin and saw the ASP pages in the address bar I really was amazed at how simple this was.

7. ricoche

ricoche Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I was wondering if you might be able to help me understand using ASP on linux.

It seems the ASP server allows me to run an ASP application. The Database section allows me to configure a connection from ASP server to a database hosting somewhere either on my servers or on a Windows server.

Am I correct that we cannot run Access/MSSQL databases on Linux server, thus we have to run those databases on a Windows box?

I am currently researching this, but it seems that the ASP/Mysql combination is the only thing that can effectively run together unless you have a Windows box. Access and MSSQL are not available.

I guess I am trying to figure out what applications can run on this type of setup. Most apps out there require a MSSQL or Access database which if I am correct cannot run on Windows. Thus I would have to have a Windows box anyway, thus eliminating the need for ASP on Linux in the first place.

Does this make sense?

Thanks for any insight into this. If you happen to know of a website that might offer more info about using ASP on Linux I would sure appreciate it. Of course if I find something I'll let you know if interested.

- Ricoche :)

8. Planet_Master

Sun ONE ASP includes DataDirect Connect ODBC 4.1 drivers. Drivers are provided for MySql, Oracle, PostgreSQL and of course MSSQL/ACCESS.

You can run all aplications using Sun ones ODBC. Linux is a perfect environment for database applications using ASP. Sure its not windows but dont sell this program short. Its functionality and available configurations make it fully usable for any database application.

Open DataBase Connectivity, a standard database access method developed by Microsoft Corporation. The goal of ODBC is to make it possible to access any data from any application, regardless of which database management system (DBMS) is handling the data. ODBC manages this by inserting a middle layer, called a database driver , between an application and the DBMS. The purpose of this layer is to translate the application's data queries into commands that the DBMS understands. For this to work, both the application and the DBMS must be ODBC-compliant -- that is, the application must be capable of issuing ODBC commands and the DBMS must be capable of responding to them.

ODBC makes compatibility across platforms easy and effective.

9. Planet_Master

I just wanted to post what this application is capable of in relation the standard Windows ASP platform:

Sun ONE Active Server Pages for UNIX and Linux includes the following new features:

ASP 3.0 functionality: Sun ONE ASP includes implementation of the ASP 3.0 functionality listed below:

Application.Contents.Remove (method)
    Application.Contents.RemoveAll (method)
    ASPError object (intrinsic ASP object)
    Server.Execute (method)
    Server.GetLastError (method)
    Server.Transfer (method)
    Session.CodePage (property)
    Session.Contents.Remove (method)
    Session.Contents.RemoveAll (method)

VBScript and JScript 5.5 support: Sun ONE ASP includes support for version 5.5 of Microsoft VBScript and JScript.

Enhanced language support: Sun ONE ASP now includes support for English, Dutch, French, German, Japanese Shift-JIS, Simplified Chinese, and Spanish (for more information, see Configuring International Support and Developing International Applications).

Multiple virtual server support: Sun ONE ASP now supports the multiple virtual server feature of Sun ONE Web Server. This supplements existing support for virtual hosts on the Apache Web server. For related information, see Defining Applications in a Shared Environment and Enabling ASP for a Virtual Host.

Engine deadlock recovery: Sun ONE ASP provides improved server stability. Failed processes, whether from malformed ASP code or locked database connections, are automatically restarted.

Command-line administration: In addition to the Sun ONE ASP Administration Console, a browser-based GUI, many administrative tasks can now be performed from the command line.

Database publishing and administration tools: Sun ONE ASP includes two database tools: Sun ONE ASP Database Publisher (Database Publisher), and Sun ONE ASP Database Management System for MySQL (DBMS).

Database Publisher is a client/server application that enables a Microsoft Access database running on Windows to be published to a MySQL database running on the UNIX(R) or Linux platforms (with Sun ONE ASP installed). DBMS is a database administration system for MySQL, enabling MySQL databases to be administered from a user-friendly administration console instead of strictly from the command line.

Enhanced COM-to-Java bridge: Developers looking to create highly portable ASP applications can integrate cross-platform Java components into their applications directly from ASP scripting

XML support: Developers can take advantage of built-in support for XML. Sun ONE ASP enables developers to incorporate pages using the DOM and HTTP features of MSXML 1.0 (Microsoft’s XML parser) into their Sun ONE ASP applications, with minimal changes to code

100% pure Active Server Pages support: Sun ONE ASP supports the most common and frequently used ASP standards, such as ASP 3.0 and version 5.5 of the VBScript and JScript scripting languages. New or existing ASP applications can be deployed with few or no changes to code.

Database connectivity tools suite: Sun ONE ASP includes support for ADO 2.0, and provides DataDirect Connect 4.1 ODBC drivers for all major databases (UNIX and Linux product versions only). Everything needed to integrate data with an ASP application is provided; drivers do not need to be purchased separately.

For information about the ODBC drivers installed with Sun ONE ASP, see Supported in This Release. For information about configuring the drivers for the data source being used, see Configuring a Database.

Powerful and scalable ASP processing: Sun ONE ASP includes a browser-based Administration Console for the easy management and configuration of the ASP Server engine (UNIX and Linux product versions only). It also provides server monitoring and diagnostic tools for real-time tracking and monitoring of server performance and availability, as well as ASP error logging for quick detection and diagnosis of server errors. For more information, see Using the Administration Console and Managing the ASP Server.

Web application developer tool integration: Sun works directly with leading Web application development tool vendors such as Macromedia and Adobe(R) to ensure that applications work seamlessly with Sun ONE ASP

Is your ASP engine similar to Microsoft's ASP?

Java System Active Server Pages is functionally and syntactically equivalent to Microsoft's ASP; however, Microsoft ASP runs exclusively on Microsoft's operating system and Web server (Internet Information Services). Java System Active Server Pages lets you utilize the same development tools and supports all the same ASP page syntax, but runs on multiple web servers including Sun Java System and Apache, and multiple operating systems including Solaris, Linux and Windows.

Will ASP files developed with Microsoft's ASP work unchanged on Java System Active Server Pages?

Although we are syntactically equivalent to Microsoft's ASP 3.0, there are several minor issues that must be addressed in running ASP scripts using Java System Active Server Pages. Most of these issues revolve around core differences between the UNIX and Windows operating systems. One example is case sensitivity. File names are case-sensitive on UNIX, so HTML links and calls to the FileSystemObject must be checked against the physical file names that are referenced.

What support does Java System Active Server Pages offer for XML?

Java System Active Server Pages provides built-in support for XML, which allows developers to incorporate pages using the Document Object Model (DOM) and HTTP features of MSXML 1.0 into their Java System ASP applications with few changes to code. (MSXML 1.0 is a very basic DOM-based XML parser. Support for DOM Level 2 is provided.)
    The Java System ASP XML control is based on the Java API for XML Processing (Java XML) implementation. An MSXML 1.0 DOM compatibility layer allows syntax written for use with the Microsoft control to function with minimal modification.

10. drmueyx

drmueyx Active Member

Will the java bit on this allow you to run .jsp files as well?
    Anyone have success configuring it?

Also as far as the database issue goes.
    MySQL or PostgreSQL are WAY WAY better than crappy old ACCESS and WAY WAY cheaper that MSSQL also they perofrm WAY WAY better than MSSQL in 99% of the instances I've come across peronally.

If I had a developer telling me that Access was the way to go I'd hire someone else. And if I had to pay $1500+ for MSSQL I'd hire someone else too :)

Thiink of the $495 as cheaper than the $1500 for MSSQL, spend a little time changing over to MySQL and you'll be much happier anyway!

Just my .02 no flames please! :)

Thanks Planet_Master for the info. We need many more posts like this!!

#10 drmueyx, Jan 3, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  11. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Are there any alternatives to Sun ONE???

I saw a link to http://www.apache-asp.org/

but dont know anything about it

Im getting a lot of people querying about .asp pages lately and i would prefer not to have to have a windows box just for it...

Unless of course CPanel gets the windows version out , then id go down that path.

12. drmueyx

drmueyx Active Member

Apache ASP is Perl module that helps you do ASP, but it is not an implementation of ASP. I've never used it but in loooking intot the matter the one mentioned here or another (the name eludes me serch google for "ASP on Linux") is 3x as much and doesn't do as true asp like the sun version.

Don't do a windows box, it'll cost you tons of money and headaches and for what? If you nees asp follow this thread and you'll be much happier.

HTH

13. internetfab

internetfab Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Also wondering if this replaces the need for Tomcat - since tomcat seems to make servers pretty unstable, or rather people's crappy code does.

14. sv1

sv1 Well-Known Member

I've managed to install the trial version of ChiliSoft asp but am not abole to access the Admin panel, http://hostname:5100

I have enabled 5100 in iptables with no luck. Anyone have this problem?

Does it work with Fedora?

Thanks.

15. netwrkr

netwrkr Well-Known Member

The current version of SunOne ASP only supports RH 7.3 That being said it will work on other platforms but the admin portion (port 5100) may not.

16. Wojjie

Wojjie Member

Is it not cheaper to just get another server and run windows on it? Then you can support .NET as well. I think this option is a lot better in the long run then buying Sun's ASP support.

I think Sun needs to drop the price a bit so it becomes more affordable to go their route.

17. pierceddude

pierceddude Member

Still happy with ASP???

Are you still just as happy with this product? I have my reservations but am running up against a deadline to either do something or lose some clients.

I'm moving from a Windows hosting platform to Linux. The Windows server is dated and I'm not even going to consider replacing it. But I have a handful of clients using ASP. I'm just not convinced at how easy it is to migrate them over. I understand from your post the installation is easy, what about use of existing sites being migrated?

Did you do any conversion from Access to MySQL on databases for example?

I'd definitely welcome your input on how well things are running after the fact and what if any feedback you've received from clients.

18. gvard

gvard Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Re: Still happy with ASP???

Good morning from Greece,

Has anyone installed Sun ONE ASP in Fedora core 1 box? If yes, are there any problems?

19. webolocity

webolocity Well-Known Member

Chilisoft & RH Enterprise

Planet Master,

Are you still using Chilisoft? Have you upgraded any of your boxes to Enterprise? If so, do you know a work around to get Chilisoft to work on RHEL?

On the Sun site they say that 4.0.2 will have RHe3 support, but they keep postponing the release. Now they are saying that maybe a BETA release will be available in a few weeks or so, but this keeps getting extended.

Would like to try it on one of our boxes, but they are all RHEL.

Thanks.

20. gvard

gvard Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Good morning from Greece,

I just read your post redarding SUN's ASP. I'd like to know if it supports Fedora core 2. Have you tried it in a Fedora linux box? I didn't see anything in their site regarding Fedora.

Sorry for my English, I'd really appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

George Vardikos
    http://www.hyperhosting.gr/