The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

super user ftp access

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danis, Oct 20, 2008.

1. danis

danis Member

I just started with a new cpanel / Web Host Manager on a VPS. I have created some domains and I am able to create FTP accounts for each domain. When I try to connect to ftp via root, I get access denied.

Is it possible to create a FTP user who has access to all domain's data? All of these are my personal domains and it would make it much easier to manage them via ftp if a single user could connect to all of them.

Thanks

2. cpanelinfoseeker

cpanelinfoseeker Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could get WinSCP and login as root using the sftp protocol. This is nice as you can use a private key for ssh login instead of a typed password.
    The one thing you need to remember that when you upload files to the server, you are doing this as root, not the domain user. You will have to change root:root to the correct setting for each domain for the files to be correct. If not, you would not be able to edit/delete these files later as the domain owner as they are owned by root.

Ron

3. danis

danis Member

Ron, thanks - the permission issue is a good one. I will stick to the domain specific user for uploads to avoid problems. I will try to explore WinSCP for downloading files for backups.