The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suphp from ram disk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike St, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Mike St

Mike St Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Has anyone been able to run suphp from ram on linux?

Here's what I done.

I copied the entire folder suphp to the ram disk (in /dev/shm folder) from the /opt folder with all permissions intact. I also copied this elsewhere on the server as a backup. I then deleted suphp from opt.

Then I tried the following of which neither worked:

1. I made a symbolic link to suphp on the ram disk and named the link as suphp.

2. I created an empty suphp folder then I used mount bind to connect the suphp folder on the ram disk to the empty suphp folder.

In both cases, i received error messages in my apache error_log along the lines of:

"(13)Permission denied: couldn't create child process: /opt/suphp/sbin/suphp for (insert website filename here)"

Can anyone tell me how I can successfully make suphp execute from a ram disk instead of an actual disk?

I don't want to mess my setup (like switching from suphp to dso or fastcgi) because the server contains web
    accounts managed by multiple users and I don't want hacking involved.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you elaborate more on why you want to move the location of suPHP? Is there some benefit to doing this, or are you just after disk space?

Thank you.