The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support at The Planet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frankc, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Frankc

Frankc Well-Known Member

I want to transfer our servers from SA to the Planet due to the high cost of bandwidth but my first few days at The Planet with just one server don't went very well with several problems.

Anyone have some advice on the level of service at The Planet?

After waited for example 24+ hours for sales personnel to respond on a special offer, the live chat representative Josh was very helpful but said the offer already expired the previous Friday while it was in fact still on the customer orbit control panel of the planet customers on Monday midday and during our chat.

In another example one of my first tickets was "Positive Critic" but days later it is still unanswered while another support ticket regarding PTR records was only partly completed.

In our high technology age it is beyond my understanding that a company like The Planet can relay so much on sales staff, which seems not available, with things that can be easily automated or provided.

#1 Frankc, Jul 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  2. biggdogg285

biggdogg285 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sometimes they are a little slow, best thing to do is call them.

I've had servers there from years, some are good, some bad.

You just have to work with them to get it fixed.

The reason I love them is their network. It kicks a$$.

3. cwboaze

cwboaze Member

the planet, response

I have been with them since they were rackshack!

I had ok service then!, but man when they changed over
    to EV1, WHEW. they rocked. completely!

100% satisfied. Fast and reliable.
    fast reponse to your tickets everything.

but after this partnerhsip and present either
    buyout or merger. They have went down hill
    and fast.

the past couple of server I got from the planet
    have have me trouble form the get go!

most of the problems where not techinical
    they were support and mangement problems.

Loosing data!, not knowing who I was when I called
    and really pissing me off when they changed my
    login details from what I knew to new login data for
    each server with each having their own the planet
    orbit account.

AND not notifying me about it!, I went to login
    to my orbit accounts and nothing would not let me
    in!, amazing things they do! negative that is!

they better be glad the price and technical
    service is right.

just my two cents!;)

4. glansing

glansing Active Member

I've been with them since they were Rackshack as well.

Their service/support was top-notch as EV1, but I must agree it has gone downhill since the merger with The Planet. I can only hope that it's just growing pains.

As for the best way to get things done, I find it best to open a ticket, wait a few hours, if you haven't heard anything, to enter live chat and ask them to take a look at it (provide the ticket #).

If that doesn't work you can generally get things accomplished on the phone.

5. acenetryan

acenetryan Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Before we offered our own VPS servers, we had a server with them. The quality of the connection wasn't bad, but I remember one particular incident vividly. Our VPS server was compromised due to a kernel exploit and they were reloading the server for us and reinstalling VZ. The process "started" one day and wasn't finished until 3 days later. Not sure why it took 3 days to do an OS reload and VZ install. However, this was about a year and a half ago, could be better now.

6. ehask71

ehask71 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    RackShack / EV1 Good The Planet terrible

I also have been with them since Rackshack I agree with the general consensus that since the merger everything as far as CS went downhill. Network still rocks though

Luckily I do alot of my own work and only have to call them when the s**t hits the fan

Eric

7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I had a bunch of machines there at Server Matrix, way before the EV1 merger. Their network was insanely good (both the premium and the unmetered Cogent) and customer service was absolutely the best in the business, hands-down. Trouble tickets were read & handled in minutes and when things were really messed up, a phone call always took care of things. (except for billing - their billing department has ALWAYS sucked and they keep bankers hours)

I understand that EV1 was good too, but I refused to have anything to do with any company that supported SCO and their extortionist licensing scheme. I was not happy that ThePlanet merged with an SCO/Microsoft sock-puppet, but at it turns out that was the very least of my worries. The original operators of both companies actually LIKED the business they were in and were very good at it.

Whenever a company that was built on competence and technical skills is taken over by corporate scumbags and venture capitalists with no concept of long-term, healthy business practices and ZERO knowledge of or interest in the actual business of that company, it's just a matter of time before the officers and VCs bleed it dry, sell off their stock, and bail out with their golden parachutes, leaving a gutted, dysfunctional shell waiting for it's assets to be stripped and sold off to debt holders. The new Planet/EV1 entity is no exception. The new website is a useless abomination of Flash nonsense, customer service is non-existent, and there's little or no value to doing business with the company anymore. The corporate overlords don't give a rat's behind because they're only there to strip-mine the once-great companies and their reputations for every dime they can leech out of them before moving on to greener takeover targets and fresh money. At least the network is still solid. Apparently they weren't able to dump all the veteran network techs and replace them with lower-paid, under-skilled new-hires like they did in the customer service dept.

I only have secondary DNS and non-essential backup there now and I only keep it because I have a grandfathered screaming deal on an 20mbps unmetered connection (which they no longer sell). I run my own colo racks and got set up as a cPanel distributor. Even when something goes wrong with my remaining Planet server, I usually come here for answers and deal with it on my own rather that deal with their customer service. At this point, I'm just waiting for the Planet to file for chapter 11.