The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

support for redhat enterprise before the end of what year?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by boatdesign, Feb 19, 2004.

1. boatdesign

boatdesign Well-Known Member

On the cpanel.net homepage it currently says

Does "end of the year" mean 2003 or 2004 since it's now February 19th, 2004?

Does cPanel fully support RedHat Enterprise right now, or are there certain things that still work better with Redhat 9?

2. Joshfrom

Joshfrom Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me. I just updated that notice :)

We currently have functional versions of the Enterprise and Fedora versions of Red Hat and are supporting the original versions as long as Fedora-Legacy continues to provide quality updates.

We do still suggest RH9 of all the RedHat versions though.

3. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Really, I opened a ticket with support a couple of weeks ago and they recommended RHEL over RH9 at this point. I'd love it if you guys got your stories straight.

4. boatdesign

boatdesign Well-Known Member

Thanks Josh.

That's what I thought but when it didn't change when Februrary rolled around I thought I'd better chedk ;) Now don't go looking to see if my own site is up to date :D

For a new server though Redhat Enterprise is much more appealing to me than 9 since it has a 5 year lifespan of updates, whereas it's unclear how long "as long as" will be for RedHat 9 or what quality will be maintained. Especially where the datacenter pays for the Enterprise license and it's essentially free for the customer, that's a more appealing deal than 9 right now.