The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspended.Page not found

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mixx941, Mar 18, 2004.

1. mixx941

mixx941 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I dont know when this started, but today I have the need to suspend an account.

When I do so, it suspends it fine, but the suspended.page is not found. It gives me a 404 error....

I even tried modifying the suspended page in WHM and it said it saved it correctly, but it still is a 404.

The system is running cPanel 9.1.0-S86 on FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE.

Thanks a lot in advance

-Mark

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  3. nitromax

nitromax Well-Known Member

I had a problem with the suspended page too, and after reading all of the posts, here's what I figured out was the problem in my case. Maybe it will help someone else down the road having a little brain block:

I suspended one of my resellers main accounts, and then I suspended two of his resold accounts. When I suspended my reseller, his account was owned by his own username (it should have been owned by root, but that was my fault).

So after suspending them all I tried to view their accounts to see if the suspended message appeared, but all 3 accounts would hang and then display the 404 Error.

Once I noticed that my resellers account was owned by his own username, I unsuspended his account, changed ownership to root, and then suspended his account again. Now his account displayed the suspended page just fine, but not the other 2 resold accounts.

When an account owned by root is suspended, an .htaccess file is created in the account being suspended with the following lines:

RedirectMatch .* http://host.servername.com/suspended.page/
    Options -Includes -Indexes -ExecCGI

You'll notice that the host.servername.com domain is used (well, whatever your host servername is) in the RedirectMatch statement. But, when a resellers account is suspended, the resellers domain name is used instead!

So to make a long, now obvious, story short, if you suspend a resellers account and it's owned by root it WILL display the suspended page. But if you suspend any of HIS resold accounts, with the resellers account suspended, it's going to hang with the 404 Error, because in the resold accounts .htaccess file it's going to point to:

RedirectMatch .* http://resellersdomainame.com/suspended.page/

... which is suspended. Duh :D

4. heymichelle

heymichelle Well-Known Member

did you get it fixed?

Just wondering if you were able to fix the problem.

5. nitromax

If you are referring to mix941's post, I'm not sure. But following the advice given by dgbaker in the link he gave above should fix it.

If you are referring to my post then the answer is yes. I unsuspended my resellers account, then changed the owner to root, and then suspended it again. That fixed the suspend page for my resellers account.

Since I needed to also suspend two of my resellers accounts I had to go into each of the resold accounts and change the .htaccess file. They did look like this at first:

RedirectMatch .* http://resellersdomainame.com/suspended.page/

But since the resellers domain name is suspended that wouldn't work, so I changed the .htaccess file in both of the resold accounts manually like this:

RedirectMatch .* http://host.servername.com/suspended.page/

The "host.servername.com" would be changed to whatever it is on your server.

6. heymichelle

confused

where exactly is this .htaccess file?

7. nitromax

The .htaccess file is in the /home/username/public_html directory. You might need to use SSH to see that file, as files that start with a period can often times be hidden from FTP.

8. heymichelle

okay thanks

I was having a bad time trying to get any suspended page to show, so what I did, under my own account created a folder named it suspended.page and than put in a index.html in that folder to suit my needs for a suspension page and than just changed ownership from the account i needed to suspend. and sure enough it worked finally.

Thanks again for the fast response.

9. DudeBro

DudeBro Well-Known Member

I don't have SSH access on my reseller account. What should I do??

10. mixx941

mixx941 Well-Known Member

Sorry for my long time between replies, but now it is an issue for me.

In the link you gave me, you said to:

I finally did this today when I needed to suspend a page. When I cd to /usr/local/apache/htdocs, there is already a directory called "suspended.page" and an index.html file in there...but that still doesnt show up in WHM or show up when I suspend an account.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

-Mark

11. Funkworkz

Funkworkz Active Member

You should make a new folder named suspended.account in your main webhosting account on that server, and put the index in there.