The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspicious process running under user

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by magicalwonders, Sep 19, 2014.

1. magicalwonders

magicalwonders Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I've started getting messages about a suspicious process running under user -

At the same time, another message is generated referencing Excessive resource usage for the same account.

A quick google search suggested that this is something to do with SpamAssassin ? I've been in touch with my host support, but they advise it is not anything to do with Spamassassin. They've responded with the following -

Not the most helpful of responses I've ever had. I assume the process is something called spamd ? I don't know where I would find that, or if the advice to switch it off is appropriate ?

Also, I have no idea what they mean by the "user to be blocked" ? Who are they talking about?

Hope someone can advise. :)

Myles

2. triantech

triantech Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey,

Is your account 'colinwat' receiving more emails ? spamd is the daemon which is needed for
    spamassassin to function. i guess spamd is being used more with respect to your account colinwat,
    which should mean your account is receinvg more emails and if the spam mails are being blocked\
    by spamassassin, then you should be good to ignore these warnings.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This is a common occurrence. You will find several threads on this topic by searching for "spamd lfd" on our forums or by searching for "LFD spamd site:forums.cpanel.net" on Google. Please keep in mind that LFD is developed by ConfigServer, so their forums are often a better resource.

Thank you.

4. magicalwonders

magicalwonders Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are four mailboxes on that account. I've just had a quick look but there are only about 20 spam messages in total! Spamassassin is enabled but not sure why it would get excited about that volume.

I've had lot's of messages come down for most of the other accounts now. But again, not really anymore spam than on any other day!

It seems to have stopped now. So I'll see what happens next if anything! :)

- - - Updated - - -

OK thanks Michael,

I'l try those search terms. I've also now joined the ConfigServer forum! :)