The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVN and WHM

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by behz4d, Nov 1, 2011.

1. behz4d

behz4d Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

We have a dedicated server with WHM installed and a VPS in another data center which is currently holding our SVN server, now we're close to launch our project and it is needed to move the web application to our dedicated server for testing the web application on the real server and under the real server environment and settings.

So we want to create a new account and bring the web application to the dedicated server, and in the meantime have SVN installed on the dedicated server with WHM, so the programmers could continue the development but now on the real server for seeing errors which the web application may be encountered on the real server and avoid them.

I needed to know that is this possible to have WHM and Subversion server on the same server?(
    Apache Subversion)

Could be any incompatibilities?

Is there any better solutions for this? imagine a big web application project like Facebook with new upgrades everyday, how they handle this situation?

The purpose is to have the development team working on the real server, and with a daemon or such thing which could save previous versions of the project files. and this could be also helpful while we're gonna upgrade the web application in future... .

Thank you in advance,
    Behzad

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can have SVN and cPanel on the same machine, but it is going to depend on the machine specs, since I do not know how heavily used or intensive SVN server might be.

Now, there's a difference between just having svn installed onto a machine and actually running an SVN server. I've only personally installed svn for checking out repository data rather than running my own SVN server, so I cannot state the intensity that type of setup entails.