key-bo

Registered
Aug 18, 2019
Russia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi. I am root whm. One outer ip address. No dns. There are two accounts: user1, user2.
user1 primary domain example.com
user2 primary domain dev.examle.com
i need switch domains. so that content of https://dev.example.com now can be accessed by https:/ /example.com
How it can be done without copying files, databases etc? htacsess redirect is not an option.

Last edited:

Eminds

Nov 10, 2016
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
you can rename the domain name itself ,

go to WHM -> Account functions -> Modify an account , You can easily change the domain name on the account, do not attempt to change the username, that could broke your scripts configuration as databases use that username.

Reactions: key-bo

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
You'd need to modify both accounts:

1. Modify the example.com account to something other- old.example.com for instance

2. Modify the dev.example.com account to example.com

3. Once that's done you'd need to update details for any CMS installations you have.

key-bo

Registered
Aug 18, 2019
Russia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
thnx
this seems more reasonable than previous answer
i'll give it a try.
by updating details for cms you mean that ftp and databases credentials will stay unchanged for account and i have to manually change them in cms config files?

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
by updating details for cms you mean that ftp and databases credentials will stay unchanged for account and i have to manually change them in cms config files?
I mean, most CMS softwares have a Site URL or in the instance of wordpress a Wordpress Address that will reflect the previous domain name, you'd need to update that to the new domain name.