The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switched from rh9 to FC2...server won't run properly...help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bangsters, Jan 10, 2005.

1. bangsters

bangsters Well-Known Member

hey guys what's up. anyway i upgraded OS from RH9 to FC2 (backed up accounts then OS reinstall)....

...however, now the server is bugged up....bind won't load, apache won't load, proftp won't, and a couple more....i tried everything i can find in the forum about the ndc issue with fedora but no avail....

...also, is it possible to resoter the account backup up from RH9 to FC2??? coz i tried doin it and it said restore complete but i cannot see it when i list the accounts.....ehlp someone please....server has been down almost the whole day :(

2. Etheral

Etheral Well-Known Member

hrmm... did you restore all the files from your RH9 file system to your FC2 file system? if it is a fresh install you should check to make sure everything is working before you mess with anything, once that is checked, you should try to restore your backups. Once you do that you might need to check your VH or other apache/DnS options.

3. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I wouldn't be restoring the accounts until all your services are running properly.

4. bangsters

ok here's how everything went....

....mysql failed like crazy...i tried everything i can find in the forums....it was looking for the mysql.sock which i couldn't find anywhere in my server, tried doing the fixes i found....but no avail...but cpanel tech was able to fix it quickly...thanx for that

....bind failed, but i was able to fix it....common fedora problem i think....

...apache, this is the fun part....took me the whole day to fix, i don't know but it kept failing....then i got it fixed somehow...i had to comment out the byteslog in the named.conf for evey account....

....for every account i restore, apache failes again....and i had to fix again...weird....

....now my quiestion is how do i restore the backups? i mean i backed them up to a remote ftp. and in order to restore them i had to use "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file"...can't i use the "restore Multiple Backups" when i set up my backup settings to point to the external ftp server? coz i had to upload each tar.gz file back to the server then restore them one by one.....

...thanx guys...this forum is always helpful and the guys at cpanel are awesome :)
    now i'm on FC2 :)

5. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    To restore the accounts, configure the backup as you normally would, perhaps as restore only to begin with. Then download the backups from the ftp server to the locations that cpanel would expect the backups yo be as if it made them itself (/backup/cpbackup/daily, for example) then you should be able to restore multiple backups just fine.

6. bangsters

uhmmm...that's what i did, i uploaded everything into /usr....if i use restore multiple backups it won't find it, but if i use the last option it can find the backup files....weird....or maybe i just need to upload themin a different location.....

anyway server is fine now, secured and updated from rh9 to fc2 :)