Switched to Event MPM, Confused About PHP Handlers

linux4me2

Aug 21, 2015
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm running CENTOS 6.8 x86_64 virtuozzo host with WHM 58.0 (build 20) and EasyApache4 (EA4).

I used EA4 to switch from the prefork MPM to the event MPM, which went smoothly, but now I'm confused about the PHP handler I'm using. I was using suPHP, and in MultiPHP Manager, it shows I am still doing so. The only options I have for PHP handlers there are suPHP, CGI, and none. I have both ea-php56-php-fpm and ea-php70-php-fpm installed, as well as ea-apache24-mod_proxy_fcgi.

If I run top, I can see cpanel_php_fpm running, and when php runs I see "php-cgi" in the command column. That makes me wonder if the handler I'm actually using is CGI instead of suPHP.

I checked the docs for information, but even though the heading says it's for EA4, there's the message that says, "Warning:Do not use this documentation. It is not valid for EasyApache 4."

How do I tell which handler I'm actually using, and how can I get more options; e.g., FastCGI, FPM, which I think I have already installed, to appear in the MultiPHP Manager?

Havri

Oct 28, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Most likely you are using PHP-CGI and not SuPHP. I am somewhat in a similar situation. I was using mod_fcgid in EA3 and came across some problems in the adoption of EA4. One command that I used to see what handlers I was using one the new systems is (hopefully they help you too):

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_phpconf --current

There is another command which should let you see which other handlers you can select for your version of PHP:

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_phpconf --available

You can read more about this here:

Manage PHP Handlers in EasyApache 4 - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

In EA4, I am experimenting with worker MPM, proxy_fcgi + suexec, but I still don't have that option in MultiPHP Manager. I'm still not sure if the fcgi module is being used in any way in the current setup. Although I can confirm that it is installed in apache (apachectl -M | grep -i cgi), I still can't select it as a PHP Handler.

linux4me2

Aug 21, 2015
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks, Havri. From the link you gave me, I found this page, which explains the commands you gave me and appears to be for WHM v. 58 and EA4.

As you suggested, I ran the command:
Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_phpconf
and it returned:
DEFAULT PHP: ea-php56
ea-php56 SAPI: suphp
ea-php70 SAPI: suphp
So it looks like what I'm seeing in MultiPHP Manager is correct, and I am running suPHP. I was just thrown off by the "php-cgi" I was seeing in top.

If I run:
Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_phpconf --available
it returns:
ea-php56: cgi none suphp
ea-php70: cgi none suphp
Again, exactly what MultiPHP Manager has in the drop-downs for the handlers.

I don't see anything about adding FCGI/FPM for EA4 in v. 58 of WHM. I guess I'll have to wait for a later version.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

If I run top, I can see cpanel_php_fpm running, and when php runs I see "php-cgi" in the command column. That makes me wonder if the handler I'm actually using is CGI instead of suPHP.
I believe the following document should help to explain how this works:

The php_cli Program - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

I don't see anything about adding FCGI/FPM for EA4 in v. 58 of WHM. I guess I'll have to wait for a later version.
You can follow the progress of this feature request at:

Enhance FPM support

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

Reactions: linux4me2