The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching back to STABLE from CURRENT updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TogaDave, Jun 21, 2004.

1. TogaDave

TogaDave Well-Known Member

In my WHM Updates Config I've always had it set to use STABLE tree, but with the security update issues last week I switched to CURRENT so I could have the latest Apaches / Security updates.

My question now is this - Can anyone tell me when/if it will ever be safe for me to set it back to STABLE updates, without causing problems on my dedicated and for my customers?

Thank you in advance for any / all info or help,
    Dave

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Seeing that a stable release was just issued and is more current than the current release, I would say now would be a good time to do it :)

3. wilfried

wilfried Active Member

So the latest STABLE version will work with apache updated?
    and there is no issue going from CURRENT to STABLE ?

4. peddler

peddler Active Member

For what it's worth, I went back to stable with no problems at all.

5. TogaDave

TogaDave Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! I also got this response from a cPanel tech:

Note - his response was based on what I'm currently running:
    WHM 9.4.0 cPanel 9.4.0-C20
    RedHat 7.3 - WHM X v3.1.0

6. bman

bman Well-Known Member

how can it be that the stable is more updated then the current and now they say stable is rarly updated !
    are they trying to force us to forget about stable ?
    i also noticed that my server load incressed after switching to release version !
    i need an expert to tell me is it better to stay with released or switch back to stable ?
    thanks

7. bman

bman Well-Known Member

up

8. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First off I am going to say I do not run freebsd, only linux.

If when you check on layer2 and current is the most updated version and it runs fine for you...keep running it. Last week I was running the linux edge and it worked fine. As long as you don't have any problems running the latest updates you might as well keep it.

The cPanel updates should start coming more frequently now, for the past 2 weeks they have sort of been on hold for everything but critical updates.

9. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

That reminds me of the chicken and the egg argument.

How do you know if the latest builds are going to work for you unless you are already using them? Sure you can check the forums and see what problems other brave souls are running into, but if you are set for automatic updates (not something I recommend) then it is too late.

I stick with STABLE based on the notion that it is supposed to be the most stable version out there. It would be nice if cPanel subscribed to the same philosophy. I expect security updates of STABLE releases to be a priority. I can do without new features until they have worked there way through the 'testing cycle' of the other releases. Uptime and minimal support requests are my priority not new features.

10. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

People have different preferences of updates, but one thing I feel strongly about is to use manual updates. That way you choose when to update and can check for problems when you do it.

I used stable for just over a year and have been using edge the last several months and I prefer edge. I had a couple problems with stable that weren't fixed till the next day. I had 1 problem with edge that was fixed a few hours later.

If someone doesn't want to do manual updates, it definately should be set for stable, but there will be occassions where a problem may come up and have to wait till the next day to be fixed. If using manual updates, I say go with what's kept up to date the most. Just my opinion. ;)