The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching from Fantastico to Softaculous or Installatron

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bdzzld, Jul 2, 2011.

?

What auto-installer is installed on your cPanel server?

1. Fantastico

18.8%
  2. Installatron

37.5%
  3. Softaculous

37.5%
  4. None (or other)

6.3%
  1. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

Hi,

At the moment all our servers have been running the Fantastico auto-installer for many years. Lately we've come across Softaculous and Installatron and they both appear to be more value for the money. Has someone already made the switch and if so, did you stick to it?

Thanks.

2. PIS

PIS Member

I like Softaculous :)

3. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

@PIS: And did you ever try/use any of the other auto-installers before?

4. PIS

PIS Member

Yes. i did Fantastico. But, Softaculous is more cheap, has more scripts, userfriendly.
    I like it.

5. PIS

PIS Member

6. InstallatronPhil

Hello guys,

Phil from the Installatron team here.

While I might be a little biased on this one, I believe Installatron is the clear winner. We pride ourselves in customer support, application update speed, and website owner ease of use. Plus, we're an established company that's been in business since 2004.

If anyone has questions about our product, or if anyone is interested in a free 30 day trial, shoot an email off to sales@installatron.com. :)

Cheers,
    Phil.

#6 InstallatronPhil, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  7. tank

tank Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Softaculous is very user friendly. In terms of the layout I believe softaculous is the best. I looked at Installatron every page a slightly different format, making it not as user friendly. Installatron does not list how many scripts they have. Installatron pricing is also more expensive than Softaculous.

Thats my opinion of course. Good luck

8. InstallatronPhil

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. We value all the feedback we can get--it helps us shape Installatron going forward.

The number of apps provided through Installatron is currently around 80, plus or minus a few depending on how major version branches of apps like Pivot and Gallery are counted. However, we've evaluated hundreds of apps for Installatron. Our philosophy is that it's better to provide only the best apps to website owners, helping ensure a high-quality, trouble-free website owner experience. Some apps just don't make the cut. Of course, we're regularly assessing new and unique apps for inclusion into Installatron, and we love hearing suggestions from our customers.

In regards to UI ease of use, while I do agree there's room for improvement, I have to disagree that each page is formatted differently. In fact, we use consistent styling and a "wizard" flow for each task that is instantly familiar to anyone who has ever installed software on their home computer. We find most website owners who are using products like Installatron don't have a wealth of experience, so the more fimilar things are, the better.

Again, thanks for the feedback. :)

Thank you,
    Phil.

9. LaceHost-Ishan

LaceHost-Ishan Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Phil.
    Customer support at Installatron is slow. Very slow. I have waited 2 months + on a ticket before closing it. We have nearly 30 servers/vpses running Installatron so we aren't bothering to change to Softaculous right now.

The Wizard interface is not necessary for advanced users, it just slows them down. Softaculous does it all on a single page, I would love to see the same option here.

The Wizard path selection sucks right now. For example, while installing Wordpress, most of our clients wish to install on main domain name, but Installatron defaults to domain.com/wordpress , so they need to go make the change each time, and most new clients just click next next and realise the issue after completing installation. I can show you how many tickets we have regarding this.

Branding is set to Enabled by default, and by default it points to Installatron website. It is pain to install via SSH first, then go to WHM and disable/change branding.

In all, Installatron sucks, and given the time and less hassle, we would move within a day.

Ishan

10. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I can vouch for Phil I love installatron but we have both installed installtraon & Softaculous so the client can choose
    we abandoned fatastico 2 years ago

and the choice made by clients is installatron but it has been on the server allot longer :)

for Phill for dedicated orders clients are choosing Softaculous over installatron likely because of the amount of scripts and price or fantasico just because they are used to it I don't think we have had an a order all year when the client wanted installatron

11. InstallatronPhil

Ishan,

I found the support case in question. This appears to be completely our fault, and I apologize for the poor support received. This occurred during a transition period for Installatron; we've since restructured, and we're proud of the current support dedication and response times.

In regards to removing the suggested directory, this is actually an option with the current version. I've entered a feature request to make this the default model for the next version. To disable the suggested directory in the current version, execute this command:
    Code:
    echo "disable_install_directory_suggestion=yes" >> /usr/local/installatron/etc/settings.ini
    I've also entered a feature request to change the branding off by default. The argument presented Is solid and I expect this will be changed for the next release as well.

Thank you,
    Phil.

12. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

Noone else willing to participate in this poll? Six entries does not give a good overview... :S