The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching hosts? DNS problems?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Guile, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Guile

Guile Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2003

I’m thinking about switching hosts, the problem is that I have over 100 domains on my server, all customers and I run my own DNS, so all of my customers use that.

I know that WHM will let me copy accounts over, so no problem their, the problem lies in DNS migration. What and how can I migrate all customers over and not expose them to DNS problems?

Any and all help would be appreciated.
  2. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2003
    It's not completely possible to keep them safe from the dns change.

once you move accounts.

you can change your nameservers IP addresses. But then there's the propagation period.

You can then add an mx entry for all your clients on the old server to point to the new server's hostname. That will stop them from having to check mail on both servers for 3 days.

Although I'm not sure if you can just add or a DNS entry for the domains to point them to the new server or what.

But if you can not. You will have to let your clients know about it - so they're not updating the site on the old server and then propagate to the new and "lose" their updates.