The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching over to external nameservers...

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by EMS, Jul 19, 2004.

1. EMS

EMS BANNED

Hi,

We are currently using the clustering feature with 4 servers where 2 of these servers are being used as nameservers for all the domains in the cluster.

SCENARIO...

I will be performing the following...

1. Set up 2 external nameservers - one as master for all and another as a secondary nameserver - these servers will not be running cpanel whm.

2. Set all the cpanel servers as "slaves" to the main server above and use the above servers as nameservers for all servers and domains.

I will be updating the master server hourly via a periodic text file dump of the named.conf files from all the other servers.

Obviousley at one point I will need to make a large bulk nameserver change to all domains.

The reason I'm doing this ? In order to use 2 common central nameservers for our different server platforms.

CPANEL SERVER REQUIREMENTS...

The cpanel servers need to have clustering disabled and set up to contain only the zone files for themselves. These will need to contain NS entries for the two new servers presumably.

QUESTION...

What do I need to do on the Cpanel servers to make this as smooth as possible ? I dont know too much about the clustering feature and I dont want to break anything.

2. EMS

EMS BANNED

None of you experienced cpanel gurus have any general advice for me here ?

3. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    the thing is we dont do such weird things.