The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swopping domain names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2011nut, Jan 30, 2011.

1. 2011nut

2011nut Registered

I have a site installed with mydomain1.com as the main domain name, and I have mydomain2.com parked ontop.

I want to swop over the domain names so that mydomain1.com is parked ontop of mydomain2.com, but I don't want to lose the site that is installed. The reason being I've changed my site name to one more appropriate and the mydomain1.com is no longer suitable, but need to keep the site content. Whats the best way to do this in my whm please?

I tried to park mydomain1.com ontop of mydomain2.com but it said there was already dns set up for that domain. Which was way over my head and I didn't know what it meant. Unless it's because mydomain1.com uses Google dns for email and service.

Is there an easy way to just swop them over without losing the site and the databases?

I have a multi site package, so have my own whm, but have no spare slots to put anything onto to swop over. All 5 sites share the same IP and nameservers, but use different domain names.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if this is in the correct section. Maybe it should be in the cpanel/whm section? I'll copy and paste it in there, and I'm sorry if the mods have to delete one of the duplicate posts.

#1 2011nut, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello 2011nut,

You aren't going to lose the site content by changing the domain name because the domain name is just the domain. The site itself is tied to the username and account, so as long as you aren't going to delete the account, this will not change the site content to change the domain.

You first need to remove the parked domain (mydomain2.com) on the account in cPanel > Parked Domains area for that user.

After you remove the parked domain, go to WHM > Modify an Account and select the account, then change the domain name to mydomain2.com for it. Since you would have unparked mydomain2.com at that point, it should let you add that domain as the main domain name.

After you've changed the main domain name there in WHM > Modify an Account area for that user, then go back to cPanel > Parked Domains and park mydomain1.com on the account. If that doesn't work, go to WHM > Delete a DNS zone and remove the DNS zone for mydomain1.com if it is still there, then try again to park mydomain1.com on the account.

Of note, I've removed the other thread started on this same issue, since I replied to this thread.

Thanks.

3. 2011nut

2011nut Registered

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

When I removed the parked domain and went back to WHM there was no 'Modify an Account' option, just a 'Modify/Upgrade Multiple Accounts' option in Multi Account Functions section.

So when I clicked on that and selected just the one account - mydomain1.com from the list there was no option to change the domain name.

All I saw was a box on the right with:

Search by domain
    Search by User
    Search by Reseller/Owner

with 2 buttons underneath :

Select Matching Users
    DeSelect Matching users

and under the list of domains 2 options:

Language (choose language from drop down box)
    Choose a package (but no options in the drop down box it just says 'choose a package')

And a change button under that.

Hmm... help!!! LOL

Thanks for deleting the other thread, sorry.

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The Modify an Account option should be in Account Functions area. If you do not have that option, then you aren't root on the machine but using a reseller account, because Modify an Account is a default option for root user. Are you not logging in as root in WHM?

5. 2011nut

2011nut Registered

No, I have a reseller account, with 5 hosting packages. I'm using all of them for 5 sites (all my own sites)

Does this mean I will have to ask the hosting company I have the reseller account with to change the domain names over for me then?

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you do not have the Modify an Account option, then you'd have to ask your hosting company to do the change for you for the main domain name correct.

7. 2011nut

2011nut Registered

OK, thanks ever so much for your time and advice. Much appreciated.

I'll contact them via the support desk now.