The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

symlink to dir in different home directory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lcdservices, Apr 8, 2015.

1. lcdservices

lcdservices Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I need to create a symlink to a directory in a different cpanel account (different home directory). Regardless of how I create it (and with what user), the symlink'd directory is unavailable for the account user.

I have gone into Service Configuration » Apache Configuration » Global Configuration and disabled SymLinksIfOwnerMatch, which (as I understand it) should allow cross-account symlinks (FollowSymLinks is enabled).

I guessing that SymLinksIfOwnerMatch is enabled somewhere else besides the main config file, but can't locate where that might be.

Any tips?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Using a path or symlink to files from another account is not recommended. Ideally, you should simply upload the same set of files to both accounts. Or, since you own both of the websites, you could make one of the accounts an Add-On domain name to the other instead of keeping them as two separate accounts.

Thank you.

3. lcdservices

lcdservices Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I need to be able to do the symlink.
    This is not a reseller environment. We use the entire server and the two sites are both ours. We simply need to share a certain folder between the two sites and not need to maintain duplicate codebases for that folder.