The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Symlink Vs suPHP on multiple cpanel acconts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleu, May 9, 2016.

1. Deleu

Deleu Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I'm trying to migrate for a new dedicated server and I've encountered a few setbacks with suPHP as I did not have it before, but I would like to try and keep suPHP enabled since not all accounts in my server belongs to myself and it offers an extra security to my customers.

On the other hand, I would like to know if it's possible to have symlinks in one account's public_html folder pointing to some global folder. The reason I want this is because I own a bunch of domains in this server and all those domains runs the same PHP application with a setup folder that differs from domain to domain.

So, basically I would need to place my app folder in a directory and all it's files would be in the www of various users. When trying to achieve this I always end up getting some permission problem as files cannot be 777 under suPHP, or the owner of the file is the only one allowed to execute the file or the writable group is not allowed by suPHP. Even when changing suPHP setup in the suphp.conf file, I was still unable to execute the symlinks.

Does anybody have any light on this issue?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This is highly discouraged and unsupported due to the security risks involved. An alternative solution is to setup a cron job that syncs the files to each account's home directory on a regular basis, and ensures the files are owned by the account username.

Thank you.