Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Sync Two cPanel Servers with Different Domains?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Greg M, Apr 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Greg M

Greg M Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all,

Will try to keep this as simple as possible.

I would like to link 2 WHM servers for DNS. They are both live production servers with different hosted domains etc they don't currently share anything.

I want to know if it is possible to set them BOTH to sync each other DNS records and act as a backup / secondary to one another. Without causing any conflicts or errors etc. Could I set them both up as a 2 server cluster? Or is there another way?

Both 'Server A' and 'Server B' host their own private nameserver etc I just want a little bit of redundancy on the DNS should one of them die or crash.

Or if anyone has any alternative suggestions I would be grateful

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Greg M

While you can create a cluster with the two servers it is not recommended. You should not create 2-way synchronizations between web-servers.

A better model would be to create one DNSonly server and set up a 1-way sync to that server from both web servers. That way you would have the backup but you wouldn't be taking the risk of having issues with the DNS records with a 2-way synchronization. We have a guide for DNS clusters which can be found here which may be helpful as well:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Greg M

Greg M Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to avoid setting up a 3rd server as that would cost more money for the server even if it was a dirt cheap vps.

However should I not come up with anything else I will certainly look into the DNS cluster with cpanel DNSonly.

Thanks

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

If you do come up with another solution feel free to post here and we can let you know any potential issues or concerns there may be with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...