The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synchronise DNS records with Primary Nameserver

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by voxtreme-matt, Apr 16, 2002.

1. voxtreme-matt

voxtreme-matt Well-Known Member

We currently have DNS setup accross 2 machines, lets call them machine 1 and machine 2. NS1 is on machine 1, NS2 is on machine 2, and we have a trust relationship between them, set up through WHM.

However, machine 2 does not seem to be able to communicate with machine 1 - I see the following error message for every domain, in /var/log/messages

----------------------
    named[18342]: refresh_callback: zone gesinf.com/IN: isc_file_settime(/var/named/gesinf.com.db): permission denied
    --------------------------

However, all domains work, which they don't normally before synchronising the records (following a reboot), so I'm not too sure what is happening.

Any insight into this matter is appreciated.

2. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:0728299a24][i:0728299a24]Originally posted by voxtreme-matt[/i:0728299a24]

We currently have DNS setup accross 2 machines, lets call them machine 1 and machine 2. NS1 is on machine 1, NS2 is on machine 2, and we have a trust relationship between them, set up through WHM.

However, machine 2 does not seem to be able to communicate with machine 1 - I see the following error message for every domain, in /var/log/messages

----------------------
    named[18342]: refresh_callback: zone gesinf.com/IN: isc_file_settime(/var/named/gesinf.com.db): permission denied
    --------------------------

However, all domains work, which they don't normally before synchronising the records (following a reboot), so I'm not too sure what is happening.

Any insight into this matter is appreciated.[/quote:0728299a24]

chown named.named -R /var/named

This might fix the problem.

3. electrik

electrik Member

For me transfers of named.conf work ok on syncronization, and domains transfers too after restart named... but keep getting this errors from time to time:

Apr 16 23:26:43 SERV1 named[7476]: refresh_callback: zone domain.com/IN: xx.xx.xx.xx#53: retries exceeded
    Apr 16 23:26:43 SERV1 last message repeated 3 times
    Apr 16 23:25:58 SERV1 named[7476]: refresh_callback: zone domain.com/IN: failure for xx.xx.xx.xx#53: timed out

everything works ok ... anyway :)