The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED synchronize dns after account transfer

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by eminos, Apr 27, 2017.

1. eminos

eminos Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi!

I'm in the process of transferring all the accounts from one cPanel server to an other (new one). I have made one account transfer using the Transfer Tool, and it seems to have worked just fine, except for the DNS zone files. There is only one zone showing in cPanel for that account, on the new server.

The goal is to transfer all the accounts from server1 to server2, and then remove server1.

This is my setup:

server1 (the old one with all the accounts)
    Has a DNS cluster setup:
    server1 --> ns1 and ns2 (synchronize changes)
    ns1 and ns2 are DNS Only servers.
    I also have bind setup on server1, but no domains are actually querying bind on server1, only ns1 and ns2.
    There is no DNS cluster setup on ns1 and ns2. They are only a part of the cluster on server1.
    This setup has worked fine for several years now.

Now I have setup server2 (the new one) with that same DNS Cluster setup:
    server2 --> ns1 and ns2 (synchronize changes)

I started out with NO name server installed on server2, thinking that I don't need it.

I have also tried to install bind on server2, and then add server2 to the DNS cluster (on server1), to try to synchronize all the zones from server1 to server2.

I have tried running Synchronize DNS Records, to try to push the zones from server1 to server2, but there is still only one zone showing for that account in cPanel (an MX zone).

So my question is what is the correct procedure to accomplish what I want to do:
    Setup server 2.
    Transfer all the accounts from server1 to server2.
    Make sure all the zone files are synced from server1 to server2 (and showing up in cPanel accounts on server2)
    Removing server1 totally.
    Having DNS Clustering setup on server2 (just the way it was on server1?)

An other question is do I need to run bind on server2 at all? The documentation is a bit unclear on that.

I'm grateful for help.

/E

2. eminos

eminos Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Update:

I can actually see all the zone records in both WHM (Edit DNS Zones and Nameserver Record Report) and in /var/named on the new server.

BUT in cPanel, for the transferred account, on the new server, it's not showing all the zone records, only the one MX record.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you verify how you are attempting to view the zone via cPanel on the new server? Note that in order to access all available zone record types via the "Zone Editor" option in cPanel, you must enable the "Advanced Zone Editor" feature in WHM's Feature Manager interface (WHM>> Packages >> Feature Manager).

Thank you.

4. eminos

eminos Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OH! Yes. That did the trick. Enabling Advanced Zone Editor in Feature Manager.
    Maybe this is something for the documentation :) (although, to be honest, I didn't really check ... but I am a WHM/cPanel user since 10 years)

Thank you Michael.

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. eminos

eminos Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @cPanelMichael I have a couple follow up questions.

1. Regarding the DNS Cluster. I have setup the DNS Cluster to synchronize changes from the new server (server2) to ns1 and ns2 (dns only servers). Do I need to setup a DNS Cluster (inverse?) on ns1 and ns2 as well? (I did not have that for all these years and everything seemed to work fine).

2. Do I need to run a DNS server on server2 at all, or can I disable it? Will editing the zone records from server2 still synchronize to ns1 and ns2 even if I disable the DNS server on server2?

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, it's not required.

You can disable the name server on the hosting server and the zones will still sync to the name servers in the cluster. Note that DNS zones will still exist under the /var/named directory.

Thank you.