The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

synchronize over FTP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by madmac, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some tools that will sync directories over FTP. This is just for general backup of items.

I've found Mirrordir which works fantastic. Of course file owners are not saved unless the owner is also on the FTP server, but pretty much everything else is saved. It is fast too :)

I guess I probably don't even need to ask since I've found something, but I like to keep my options open. Anyone know of any other Linux FTP sync tools? I found a few simple Perl scripts too, but they don't seem to on par with Mirrordir.

2. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would recommend using rsync as it will preserve all file attributes.

you can do a man rsync for all the options

3. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

rsync does not work over FTP.

4. dave9000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I know it doesn't

But for syncing file on *nix its a lot faster and better than FTP

5. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

Obviously there is a reason I have to use FTP, and if I could SSH to the remote backup space I would use rsync over SSH or something similar. Hence the specific term "FTP" appearing in the post at least 4 times, not to mention the question was not a generic backup question, but one specifically about FTP. Some come on down off of whatever mountain you're on and try reading the post. :rolleyes:

#5 madmac, Apr 18, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  6. dave9000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I caught the FTP part I also know I have tried syncing large directories via ftp and it takes forever if you have a 100k or so files to sync across so I was throwing ideas out

And no FTP programs I know of handle symlinks very well,and tend to chown the files to the owner running the ftp

Since you do not have ssh abilities why not write a perl or php script to tarball the fileset and then ftp 1 file over instead of 1000's. This way you could maintain file attributes plus speed up the transfer a lot.

7. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

how would tarballing speed up a sync?

Only the initial transfer would send all of the files. All further transfers would only send the files necessary to "sync" the two directories (as much as can be synced with FTP), saving both on time and bandwidth.

Tarballing would probably take longer to complete than transferring the changed files does, and would waste a lot of bandwidth in the transfer process.

Plus Gzip is a royal resource hog, so even if tarballing was faster, I would rather have a process running for a little bit longer that did not adversely impact the server resources, than get it done a bit quicker but halt everything else [more or less] to get it done.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that Mirrordir is unable to preserve is the file owner, which is easy to fix if a restore is necessary, since each "backup set" I run has only a single owner.

8. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Most of us here who try to offer helpful information often suggest other methods just in case the person asking for FREE HELP might not have thought of it.

Repeating an item multiple times (ftp) does not tell us anything about whether or not other options might work.

Had you made a statement like the above to me, I'd have just dropped trying to help you altogether, but I guess Dave9000 is a better person than me.

So come on down off of whatever mountain you're on and try to be thankful that someone's answering your post.

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed. Please be respectful of the help offered here. Posters are not mind readers and are here of their own free will and time and you'll get much more out of the forums if you tone down your aggression and help people understand what it is you're after.

10. dave9000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well you can rest assured you will not be bothered by me anymore now or in the future because hell will be froze over before I will offer anything to you

11. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Second that emotion.

12. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.