The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Syncing DNS for server Cluster

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by steven, Sep 29, 2002.

1. steven

steven Active Member

We have the trust relationship set between two servers of ours, and now we have just brought a third one online. I was wondering how those with 3 servers or more have synced the dns on them, where you can edit the zones of all the sites on all of the servers, etc... Which one should I make primary/slave.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Steven

2. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:184490bcf7][i:184490bcf7]Originally posted by steven[/i:184490bcf7]

We have the trust relationship set between two servers of ours, and now we have just brought a third one online. I was wondering how those with 3 servers or more have synced the dns on them, where you can edit the zones of all the sites on all of the servers, etc... Which one should I make primary/slave.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Steven[/quote:184490bcf7]
    [b:184490bcf7]Multiple Replication servers[/b:184490bcf7]
    It is like setting up a secondary DNS, you can make trust relationship between master name server and your slave name servers
    like this:

DNS1 and DNS2,
    DNS1 and DNS3,
    DNS1 DNS4
    DNS1 and DNS10

then DNS1 is a master DNS and DNS2 ... DNS10 will be slave

3. steven

steven Active Member

Thanks for your response. So you are saying that dns1 will always be our master, which is what we want. So any future servers that we hookup to this cluster will all be slave servers. Now here is the money question. The nameservers that were created on the first two servers were ns1 and ns2 where ns1 was an IP on primary/master server and ns2 was was setup as secondary on slave server. So what do you recommend I do now for this third server setup cluster?

-Steven

4. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:4ed7d2a9b9][i:4ed7d2a9b9]Originally posted by steven[/i:4ed7d2a9b9]

Thanks for your response. So you are saying that dns1 will always be our master, which is what we want. So any future servers that we hookup to this cluster will all be slave servers. Now here is the money question. The nameservers that were created on the first two servers were ns1 and ns2 where ns1 was an IP on primary/master server and ns2 was was setup as secondary on slave server. So what do you recommend I do now for this third server setup cluster?

-Steven[/quote:4ed7d2a9b9]
    [b:4ed7d2a9b9]Multiple Replication servers[/b:4ed7d2a9b9]
    You can have a primary DNS server, which is master for so many Slave servers,
    It means you can setup server 1 as primary server (NS1) and set up your other servers as Slave servers (slave name servers: ns2, ns3, ns4 ... )
    In your case, you have server 1 as master nameserver (ns1), and server 2 as slave (ns2) and a third server that you can set it up as a slave server (ns3)

The method for multiple replication servers is as setting up a Secondary server; you can establish a trust relationship between your master name servers and all of slaves
    Like these:

ns1 (master) ns2 (slave)
    ns1(master) ns3 (slave)
    ns1 (master) ns4 (slave)
    I wrote a step-by-step instruction about how to get your slave DNS to work in this thread: (click here)
    http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=2886

5. Curt

Curt Well-Known Member

[quote:ecf193f361][i:ecf193f361]Originally posted by itf[/i:ecf193f361]
    I wrote a step-by-step instruction about how to get your slave DNS to work in this thread: (click here)
    http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=2886[/quote:ecf193f361]

itf,
    For some reason I can not get to your link?

Here is a question. I have this currently

BOX 1 - ns1 (master)
    BOX 2 - ns2 (slave to ns1 master)
    BOX 3 - ns1 (slave)
    BOX 4 - ns1 (slave)

I want to turn box 4 into the master and make box 1 a slave. Here is what I want it to look like. Now the question is how do I make this happen?

BOX 1 - ns1 (slave)
    BOX 2 - ns2 (slave to ns1 master)
    BOX 3 - ns1 (slave)
    BOX 4 - ns1 (master)

Thanks,
    Curt

6. hotice007

hotice007 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

So, since the Master DNS (primary DNS) server contains all the zone files, what happens if it goes down? No one can access their website right? because there would be no secondary DNS server.