mauinet

Mar 2, 2004
Maui
Visit site
I am transferring all sites from an old cpanel server to a new one. The websites and email both transfer without issue. However, because of DNS propagation, some email continues to be sent to old server depending on name server update time but other email goes to new server. After a couple of days, all email will be delivered to the new server. How can I copy the email that went to the old server to the new one during the propagation period. I tried using rsync on an account which appeared to do the job. Is that a safe way to go or will it just create other problems?

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

ras

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I've done something similar in the past.
I can't rember the exact spcifics, but I'm pretty sure I just copied the files from one mail folder to the other using FTP.
I guess it depends how many email accounts you wish to transfer, if only a few then no issue, but if lots then it could be tricky.

I do recall that it messed with the time stamps, but this wan't important to the end user.
And you can't do it as a root user, it has to be the cpanel account user.

mauinet

Mar 2, 2004
Maui
Visit site
I've done something similar in the past.
I can't rember the exact spcifics, but I'm pretty sure I just copied the files from one mail folder to the other using FTP.
I guess it depends how many email accounts you wish to transfer, if only a few then no issue, but if lots then it could be tricky.

I do recall that it messed with the time stamps, but this wan't important to the end user.
And you can't do it as a root user, it has to be the cpanel account user.
Thanks for the reply.