Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sys-snap continually running

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bethimc, May 9, 2017.

1. bethimc

bethimc Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We noticed this morning that one of our servers was eating through disk space significantly faster than it needed to.

The culprit appears to be sys-snap. It is creating logs in the /home/SYS-SNAP folder at the rate of 90K per minute. It looks to be logging every single process running at the time the snapshot.

At this point, I have over 130GB in the directory and growing. We have 4 dedicated servers, all with the same configuration, and this is the only one doing this.

It was last rebooted April 24, but was doing this before then. We have checked all our services and the server does not appear to be in imminent danger of rebooting.

We do backups daily and keep copies on Amazon S3, so I'm not 100% worried about data loss, just mildly concerned. I did check the backups and they are all on S3, as expected.

Two questions:
    • How do I stop this? I know I want sys-snap running in case of failure, but it can't continue to chew through disk space like this.
    • Can I safely delete the older log files? I would keep a couple of days worth.
    Beth

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Beth,

I recommend disabling the sys-snap script from running on the system unless you have an active issue with your server's load or resource usage that you need to investigate. You can safely remove any log files associated with the script.

Thank you.