Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sys_cpanel File Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zardiw, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Zardiw

Zardiw Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Getting This:

File does not exist: /home/*ar***adm/public_html/Update/sys_cpanel, referer: http

Which results in a 500 Server Error. when I run my script, which was working at one time.

I have no idea why it's looking for that file.......and it's right.....it doesn't exist on my site.

Any clues???

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you let us know the full error message you see in the Apache error log when this happens? Also, do any custom mod_rewrite rules exist within this account's .htaccess files?

Thank you.

3. Zardiw

Zardiw Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please. I don't see how the full version makes any difference.

And I'm not that good at Putty, and don't have the time to drill down into linux to find these logs.

I had no mod_rewrite rules and it looked for that file.

I added some and it looked for that file.

I don't see any circumstances where web software would try to inject files into a web html site, and then proceed to look for them there.

=================================================
    Here is MT's response to a TT I submitted:

Thank you for contacting (mt) Media Temple.

This error is the result of using your server's IP address along with the cPanel account (~zarddaadm) to preview your site while mod_userdir is disabled. You can enable mod_userdir in WHM by going to Security Center > Apache mod_userdir Tweak. Once enabled, you should not find that error being logged when visiting these pages. You can find some additional information on mod_userdir in the following cPanel documentation.

Apache mod_userdir Tweak - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

If you have questions about the information within this support request or any of your (mt) Media Temple services, please feel free to contact us at any time. We are here 24/7 to assist you. Thank you for choosing (mt) Media Temple for your hosting needs.

===================================================

I subsequently added some custom 404 pages and supposedly it no longer looks for that file in my web folders

================= More from MT =========================

Based on research, the 'sys_cpanel' in the error message you were seeing is normal behavior. This appears to happen when cPanel serves it's own error pages. We see that you were able to resolve the issue by specifying a custom 404 page in your .htaccess file. We are no longer seeing 'sys_cpanel' appended to the 404 error entries in your logs.

=======================================================

Bottom Line.......... There is something wrong somewhere, cause no WAY should cPanel look for a system file in user's folders......lol....

Maybe somebody can come up with a REAL explanation as to why this is happening..........

z

#3 Zardiw, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2017
  4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

We'd need to see an example of how the script is coded to provider a better explanation for how the error message was generated. You are welcome to open a support ticket with us directly if you'd like us to take a closer look:

Submit A Support Ticket

Thank you.

5. Zardiw

Zardiw Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It has ZERO to do with 'How the Script is Coded".....lol.........Cause that's not where the error is.......it's when it actually CALLS/LOOKS FOR the script..........z

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Were you able to open a support ticket so we can take a closer look?

Thank you.