SYSLOG Check Failed (Due to cPanel update?)

Networkologist

Feb 5, 2003
I'm on a VPS and have CSF installed. A few months ago I started receiving the above messages. Don't think I ever got this message in the years I've been with this Host. My Host's tech support responded to my ticket:

There was a misconfiguration in chkservd. It was looking for a syslogd service started by root. But syslogd is supposed to be started by the syslog user.
I have corrected the config file to the proper values.

-----
[email protected] [~]# cat /etc/chkserv.d/syslogd
service[syslogd]=x,x,x,/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv_syslogd,syslogd,root|syslog
[email protected] [~]# nano /etc/chkserv.d/syslogd
[email protected] [~]# cat /etc/chkserv.d/syslogd
service[syslogd]=x,x,x,/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv_syslogd,syslogd,syslog
-----

The messages should cease now.
All seemed fine for a few days when the SYSLOG Check Failed message started again.

Tech support replied:

It seems that the changes made in the file '/etc/chkserv.d/syslogd' is being reverted during the cPanel update.

Currently, the syslog service is running fine in the server.

---
[email protected] [~]# service syslog status
syslogd (pid 3499) is running...
---

I have searched the forum but could not find any other fixes for this issue. It sems to be a bug in SYSLOG.
The only change that I'm aware of was an upgrade to php and mysql back in Sept.

The PHP version installed in the server is version 5.2.16. We shall upgrade it to version 5.3.16. However, as this is a major change, version dependent codes in your websites may not work properly after the upgrade. You need to correct them with the help of your programmer.

The MySQL installed in the server is version 5.0. We shall upgrade it to version 5.1 for you.
Not sure how serious this situation is, not being a server admin, so any help appreciated.