Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Syslog entries for maillog

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by rlpittman, Apr 6, 2004.

1. rlpittman

rlpittman Active Member

The other day, after returning from vacation, I get notified that some emails are bouncing. After doing some investigating, I find my drive at over 80% capacity. It's my maillog file! It's only 12+GB; yes GB not MB.

Turns out there are over 250 maillog entries in my syslog file. So when someone checks mail, it logs it over 250 times!

So, I clear them all out and I've been keeping an eye on it. Just found that the file had 4 NEW LINES that repeat the nastly log line...

local0.notice;local0.debug;mail.*;mail.none;mail.info;local0.info /var/log/maillog

which in and of itself writes the log lines 3 times.

So, I chattr +i the file to lock it, and I change the line to read:

local0.notice;local0.debug;mail.none;mail.info;local0.info /var/log/maillog

which seems to fix most of the problem, BUT my question is WHY is the file getting that line repeated? And, the last time I did a CHATTR +i on a file (exim.antivirus) it stopped exim from updating. Am I going to have update problems again?

Thanks for any insight into this.

Ray

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...