The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

syslog interfering with service startup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by acenetryan, Jan 25, 2008.

1. acenetryan

acenetryan Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

This issue only occurs on 2 of our servers, the 2nd just recently popped up.

We have all services monitored on all of our machines. Named never reports as actually going down. However, when you try to resolve domains on the server, there are times when it will sporadically stop resolving. At this time, I usually like to go on the server and run a "service named status" to see what's going on. It hangs indefinitely or takes a very long time to output. This also occasionally happens with cPanel, exim, and pure-ftpd.

I dug a little deeper.

Each time I try to restart a service, namely named, cPanel, exim, or pure-ftpd, I notice an initlog process running. stracing this process reveals that the initlog process is severly hanging while trying to write to the log. If I killall syslogd while the other service is trying to start, it instantly starts. Just to clarify, here's what I mean:

1) I try to restart cPanel/Named/etc

2) It displays:
    Code:
    Stopping cPanel services:
    and hangs.

3) stracing the initlog process shows:
    Code:
    send(4, "<189>Dec 24 14:45:57 stopcpsrvd:"..., 68, MSG_NOSIGNAL
    4) If I 'killall syslogd' at this point, the message is immediately written to minilogd (which, IYRC, is the service that takes over when syslogd/klogd is not running). The service we were originally trying to start starts up without issue.

I've already tried forcibly reinstaling the sysklogd rpm. It didn't seem to help.

We do have the option of disabling syslog entirely which has been our temporary fix, though system log messages are nice to have. Additionally, minilogd eventually ends up eating up RAM which bogs down performance until we start up syslog, let minilogd dump it's messages, and then kill syslog again (or we just kill minilogd).

The log files are not full, we've tried clearing them. Additionally, there's nothing wrong with the hard drives, we monitor them as well.

For named, one of our permanent fixes was to redirect all logging away from messages to separate files using the logging {} options in named.conf.

Anyone encountered anything like this?

#1 acenetryan, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is your:

Operating System?

Full cPanel version number and branch?

3. acenetryan