Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System backup & databases

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by sp3ctre69, Aug 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sp3ctre69

sp3ctre69 Well-Known Member

This is probably an easy one for someone to answer, but probably worth asking anyway.

I am backing up all my sites, along with the system backup, and shipping them off-site... I was wondering why one of my servers has a 24G system backup, so I investigated what the system backup backs up... the bulk of it (in my case) is the MySQL directory, with all the databases.

My question is, when each site backup contains the databases that match the site, why also backup the database in the system backup?

I'm sure there is a logical explanation for it!

2. Ekushey

Ekushey Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    When you select "Per Account and Entire MySQL Directory" from Backup SQL Databases settings, it backs up copies of all the databases from your cPanel accounts, as well as all of the databases on the server (/var/lib/mysql/ directory). If you want to backup databases from cPanel accounts only, then select the "Per Account Only" option.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @sp3ctre69,

The previous post is correct. The "/var/lib/mysql/" directory is included with system backups when using "Entire MySQL Directory" or "Per Account and Entire MySQL Directory" for the "Backup SQL Databases" option in "WHM >> Backup Configuration".

Thank you.

Ekushey likes this.
  4. sp3ctre69

sp3ctre69 Well-Known Member

ok, that makes sense... why would you want them backed up separately though? If you want to restore a site you need to restore the site backup, which contains the DB. If you don't want to restore the site then why would you want the database?

5. Ekushey

Ekushey Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, I may want the database dumps separately, helpful when I'm doing a server migration. For most people "Per Account Only" option is just fine, which saves a lot of space too.

cPanelMichael likes this.