The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Backups and MySQL Events

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by slawn, Oct 21, 2014.

1. slawn

slawn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi. I have an automated backup setup with cPanel to Amazon S3. Today we've noticed that when we were moving the server using cPanel transfer none of the MySQL Events were copied across. We were not worried as we knew that before shutting down the old server we've had backups done to S3. So when I logged in to S3 I was surprised to see that only accounts are backed up there - none of the system files are backed up?? Can you explain why is that happening - with the old FTP backup everything was being backup up - accounts and system files. I checked and in my backup settings I have "Backup System Files" option ticked - I can see the system files on the server in the backup directory - but in S3 I can only see accounts being backed up....

This is an absolute disaster for us as we moved the server, shut down the old one and now it appears that we lost 120 different Events in MySQL that we cannot recover as they are not in the backup??

Two suggestions:

1. Add --events option to mysql dump - so actually events are also backed up
    2. The system files should also be a part of backup that is being sent to Amazon S3 - which is not the case.

I have 5 servers running cPanel and for all of them I can only see accounts on S3 - so this is not something that only affects 1 server.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. slawn

slawn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks. Just did that. And what about adding the --event option to mysql dump you are using? As the backup you have and the transfer option between the servers is missing that - so it actually isn't a full back / transfer as it's missing data?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, that functionality is included with cPanel version 11.46 (Currently only available in the EDGE build tier):

Fixed case 102441: Make pkgacct back up MySQL triggers and events.

Thank you.