The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

system crash after installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nunogomez, Apr 27, 2004.

1. nunogomez

nunogomez Registered

Hi all,

After installing the latest version of cpanel on my fedora core 1 box, my system crashed down. I can't use it now.

The screen is blinking (i can see it for approximately 3 seconds, then it disappears.. and so on, this process repeats itself infinitely)

The problem may be caused because I had a Plesk installed on my system before giving a try to cpanel. And I didn't have a license of cpanel, i've just thought that cpanel's license issue is like the one of plesk.

Whatever.. Please help me.. I want my fc1 back...

Thanx in advance...

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The license issue will not cause any problems. A server will run fine without the license being installed, just the web interface will not.

It sounds like the bootloader might be screwed up. Honestly it is probably going to be easier to try and format a fresh copy, cpanel is meant to be installed on a fresh box. If you do want to save it we are going to need some more information, you said it blinks but what can you see before it blinks?

3. nunogomez

nunogomez Registered

Well, it starts very normally...
    First grub let me choose which os to load, i choose fedora
    then the services that starts come up
    even they are shown in the nice graphical boot screen of fedora core 1.
    But the boot process has some problems. Some daemons fail to start, especially plesk daemons...
    Then at the point where the fc1 should ask username and password (again with a nice graphical screen), a terminal screen that starts with a precaution message at the beginning ask me my login information.

But unfortunately, i can't see what is written, because as i said before, the screen blinds, i can see the screen for 3 seconds in a minute.

4. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sounds like your entire X windows install somehow got messed up. Do you really need the information on the box? Formatting would clear out all that plesk stuff, I have no clue what it does but it might be alot.

If not you can still acess it fine via ssh I bet.

5. nunogomez

nunogomez Registered

You are right, i think X is messed up.. Unfortunately I can't delete it now, i'm gonna try to rescue it, using fc1 installastion disks, i'm gonna reinstall xfree86..
    I hope it will work..

6. nunogomez

nunogomez Registered

it didn't work!

7. hodfords

hodfords Active Member

Mine Crashed too

We installed plesk prior to installing Cpanel. But we had uninstalled everything using rpm -e.

But after installing the latest Cpanel version. >sh latest, the whole server crashed. Even the Grub loader won't load, it would just display "Grub" these 4 letters, the keyboard wouldn't work- nothing would work.

What business does Cpanel have interfering with grub???

Please advise- anyone?? I'm sorry but formatting your drive is not the solution for everything- because it doesn't always solve the problems.

8. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    a cpanel install disables X windows.

and if grub will not load then a format and reinstall or a overlay install is in order

sounds like you removed some needed system files with the rpm -e

nothing cpanel installs will interfer with grub

9. hodfords

hodfords Active Member

No. rpm -e did not remove any files used for Grub- that we know for sure, because we rebooted the machine straight after executing the rpm -e command to remove anything in the memory and that reboot worked fine. So we can say for sure that it's nothing to do with rpm -e.

Can any Cpanel programmer shed light on why grub has become corrupt after the installation of Cpanel? We did run sh latest twice.... can that possibly be the problem.

We don't believe that formatting the drive is the only solution for everything- this is not windows you know.

10. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    never said reformatting the drive was the answer to everything however in this case it may be the only answer

if your using cpanel for a test then a fresh server may not matter however if you are going to use cpanel in a production environment then a format and reinstall (minimal install) of the OS is almost a must.

I can not think of a thing that a cpanel install does that would hose the bootloader. However cpanel does run up2date,yum or whatever your OS uses to make sure system files are updated and to install needed system files that services will use. Its possible there is a conflict there that is corrupting the grub/bootloader.

I do not have a box to test this senario with so I am just going on my experiences running WhiteBox and RHEL

11. hodfords

hodfords Active Member

Formatting may be the only solution in our situation, but without knowing exactly where the problem was we have no guarantees that after the reformat the same problem will not recur. Generally speaking, we are always keen to identify the problem source.

Incidentally, we have to install libATA with Kernel2.6.5 after the reformat because of some server board issues and in doing so, we have to recompile the kernel. I don't presume that this would impact the Cpanel/WHM installation.

We are using Fedora Core 2, and the server is a dual Xeon.

12. ripside

ripside Member

same problem here

Brand new fresh installs of both CentOS and WhiteBox Linux. No go, GRUB messed up in both cases (a total of 7 OS installs now). I get the same symptoms, flashing screen with a flash of "login:" now and then.

Scott