SOLVED System Emails Are Still Sent To Root

linux4me2

Aug 21, 2015
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am getting bounced, frozen emails in my mail queue when the system attempts to send email to [email protected] (where host.mydomain.com is the hostname of my server). These emails appear to be from:
Here is the output of commands to check the configuration:
Code:
[email protected] [4012 13:24:56 ~]# cat /etc/localaliases
cpanel: [email protected]
nobody: [email protected]
root: [email protected]
[email protected] [4013 13:25:26 ~]# cat /var/cpanel/userhomes/cpanel/.forward
[email protected]
[email protected] [4014 14:14:58 ~]# cat /root/.forward
[email protected]
[email protected] [4015 14:15:11 ~]# grep [email protected] /etc/valiases/*
[email protected] [4016 14:15:45 ~]# grep [email protected] /etc/vfilters/*
[email protected] [4017 14:16:11 ~]#
Here is the output for the hosts file and reverse DNS:
Code:
[email protected] [4018 14:18:02 ~]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
::1       localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
192.168.122.229       centos6.template.mywebhost.com centos6 Bcast
64.91.xxx.xxx       host.mydomain.com host
[email protected] [4019 14:18:04 ~]# cat /etc/mail_reverse_dns
96.30.xxx.xxx: host.mydomain.com
Note that this server was migrated to a new VPS with all the previous IP addreses retained, so the primary IP of the new VPS (64.91.xxx.xxx) doesn't match the reverse DNS (96.30.xxx.xxx, the old primary IP), though all our email seems to be working fine so far.

I've looked everywhere I can think of to find why root is still getting system emails. What else could it be?

linux4me2

Aug 21, 2015
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I thought that WHM's settings would override what's in /etc/crontab, but I looked just to see what the MAILTO was set to, and it is set to "root":
Code:
MAILTO=root

linux4me2

Aug 21, 2015
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The emails are never making it to Gmail. This is what I see when I look at the bounces in the Mail Queue:

Code:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
    The mail server could not deliver mail to [email protected]  The account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the proper dns entries.
The messages are sent from the Cron Daemon to [email protected] instead of using the email addresses I have set, unless I need to set the MAILTO in /etc/crontab.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

It's normal to see the notifications sent via email to [email protected] initially. The messages are then forwarded to the email address configured for "root" in "WHM >> Edit System Mail Preferences".

The mail server could not deliver mail to [email protected]. The account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the proper dns entries.
Can you verify if the server's hostname is added to the /etc/localdomains file on this system? If not, add the server's hostname to this file and verify it doesn't exist in the /etc/remotedomains file. Then, check to see if the issue continues.

Thank you.

Reactions: linux4me2

linux4me2

Aug 21, 2015
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It's normal to see the notifications sent via email to [email protected] initially. The messages are then forwarded to the email address configured for "root" in "WHM >> Edit System Mail Preferences".
So it's normal to have the frozen messages sent to root by the cron daemon in the Mail Queue, even with a valid email for root in WHM >> Edit System Mail Preferences as I do? It seems like I could prevent this by setting the MAILTO in crontab to an email address instead of "root"?

The server's hostname is not in /etc/localdomains or in /etc/remotedomains. I have added it to /etc/localdomains, and I'll see what happens tonight when the crons run.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
So it's normal to have the frozen messages sent to root by the cron daemon in the Mail Queue, even with a valid email for root in WHM >> Edit System Mail Preferences as I do? It seems like I could prevent this by setting the MAILTO in crontab to an email address instead of "root"?
It's not normal for the initial delivery attempt to fail, but it is normal for the system to make the initital delivery attempt to the ro[email protected] address. The email addresses configured in "Edit System Mail Preferences" are used to determine where the emails sent to [email protected] are forwarded, but don't actually change the use of [email protected] in locations such as cron jobs.

The server's hostname is not in /etc/localdomains or in /etc/remotedomains. I have added it to /etc/localdomains, and I'll see what happens tonight when the crons run.
This should address the issue you are facing. Let us know if you encounter any further problems.

Thanks!

linux4me2

Aug 21, 2015
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It looks like I won't have to wait until tomorrow to tell you that adding my hostname to /etc/localdomains has worked.

I just got an email to the Gmail address set in WHM >> Edit System Mail Preferences that is addressed to [email protected]

I'm glad I'm getting the system emails now, but I think I opened a new can of worms. : ) The subject of the email is:
Code:
Cron <[email protected]> cd /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/fantastico/scripts/ ; /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/php cron.php > /dev/null 2>&1
and the body of the email is:
Code:
/bin/sh: line 0: cd: /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/fantastico/scripts/: No such file or directory
It looks like I need to comment out the cron for the fantastico script.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
It looks like I need to comment out the cron for the fantastico script.
Hello,

You'd need to remove that cron job if you no longer use that application, or reach out to their support team to determine the updated cron job to use.

Thank you.