The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Files, System, and System_Files.tar

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by seenBEST, Jun 20, 2014.

1. seenBEST

seenBEST Registered

Mar 24, 2013
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

When I checkbox the option "Backup System Files" in WHM backup configuration, the backup creates a folder /system/ containing a backup of system configuration files. Example:

However, that directory is not sent to a remote FTP destination during transfer to FTP, so I followed the steps outlined here System Backups to transfer the system files to FTP with the setting upload_system_backup = 1

With the above setting, the system generates a system_files.tar file containing the same files that are in the backup folder /system/. So now I have 2 copies of the same exact files, one in a directory and once in a .TAR.

If I go back into WHM backup configuration and turn off the checkbox "Backup System Files" but leave the setting "upload_system_backup = 1" enabled in the config file, will it still generate the system_files.tar file but not generate the unnecessary /system/ folder?

I am curious to try it but backup generation takes about 3 hours so I'm hoping someone else already knows.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The system backup files are not removed from the local server after the transfer to a remote destination. This was confirmed with our development team per internal case number 72813. You are welcome to open a feature request for that via:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.