Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

System Mail Preferences

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Jeff75, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I was wondering what settings would be best to have under System Mail Preferences in WHM. I currently have the following:

root's mail
    admin@mydomain.com

nobody's mail
    /dev/null

mailmain's mail
    /dev/null

A few months ago I started getting emails sent to my admin address (around 30 a day) of bounced email notifications that are sent to Mailer-Daemon@servername.domain.com. I'm not sure what I changed which caused me to started getting these emails, but they're a real pain.

If I change root's mail to /dev/null would I be missing anything important? THe only thing I really think I'd need are the service monitoring emails, which are sent to an address that I specify anyway so I guess it wouldn't matter if I /dev/null the root's mail???

2. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Anybody?

3. casey

casey Well-Known Member

You need to keep root's mail. Various warnings and such also get sent there, for example if there is a hard disk error. You will probably want to be notified of that.

4. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea why all mail that is returned to any address on the server that goes to Mailer-Daemon@servername.domain.com appears in my admin's inbox? Do you know how to stop it? It never used to do this until a few months ago.

5. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Not sure. That stuff gets stuck in my queue...