T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host

adapter

PartnerNOC
Sep 17, 2003
Hi

i have a problem with customer that use my smtp server, looking in the log i have found this error

T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host

what is it?

Thanks

ManojB

Mar 25, 2005
pune
Email problem

Hello,

Yes I am facing the same problem and here is the logs for the same :-

LOG: retry_defer MAIN
== [email protected]******.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host

I have checked the cpanel forum and have tired many of the things but with no luck ... Anyone there with the solution for this ...

AndyReed

PartnerNOC
May 29, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Yes I am facing the same problem and here is the logs for the same :-

LOG: retry_defer MAIN
== [email protected]******.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host

I have checked the cpanel forum and have tired many of the things but with no luck ... Anyone there with the solution for this ...
This can be caused by multiple things, however if it happens for each email, it's likely your exim databases are corrupt; to resolve this you should:

/usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 1d /var/spool/exim retry > /dev/null
/usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 1d /var/spool/exim reject > /dev/null
/usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 1d /var/spool/exim wait-remote_smtp > /dev/null

/scripts/courierup -- force
/scripts/eximup --force

If you did that, yet the problem persists, you can either seek professional help, or contact the cPanel support.

Reactions: Adarsh Madrecha

crazyaboutlinux

Nov 3, 2007
This can be caused by multiple things, however if it happens for each email, it's likely your exim databases are corrupt; to resolve this you should:

/scripts/eximup --force

If you did that, yet the problem persists, you can either seek professional help, or contact the cPanel support.
very good solution, problem solved

erick_paper

Apr 19, 2005
Thanks for this. Faced this today and solved it with this. But what worries me is the corruption of Exim data to begin with! Why does this happen and what can we do to avoid it? Thanks.

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It doesn't normally happen due to exim database corruption. It normally happens if your machine goes offline or another machine goes offline for network connectivity. If that happens, then exim reaches the retry times and cannot succeed in sending out the messages and will not try to resend those messages until the retry timeout is reached.

If this happens to you frequently, then you likely have an issue with your machine's network or routing and it has nothing to do with exim.

keddie

Nov 17, 2007
It normally happens if your machine goes offline or another machine goes offline for network connectivity.
This thread just saved my bacon. This particular server is setup to relay all mail via a corporate exchange server, the exchange server died at some point and that's around when exim started having this issue. After getting the exchange server rebooted and issuing the commands above, everything is working properly again.

Good solution :)

cuongvttt

Jun 26, 2008
It doesn't normally happen due to exim database corruption. It normally happens if your machine goes offline or another machine goes offline for network connectivity. If that happens, then exim reaches the retry times and cannot succeed in sending out the messages and will not try to resend those messages until the retry timeout is reached.

If this happens to you frequently, then you likely have an issue with your machine's network or routing and it has nothing to do with exim.
This is right. This happen when this mail server cant see (ping, connect,...etc) the other mail server.
I think this is error of network system. Because i have 2 mail server in the same data center. Some reason that two mail servers cant see together (ping). Then i get this issue.
Now my mail servers can work together well.

crazyaboutlinux

Nov 3, 2007

/scripts/eximup --force

very good solutions thanks a lot!

jols

Mar 13, 2004
Egads, no way to do this anymore:

/scripts/eximup --force

Instead we have to do a force cPanel update, which tends to produce a load if done during peak hours.

Any other solution with this?

crazyaboutlinux

Nov 3, 2007
Yes, Your are right, i have tried but it doesn't work, but same tips and script was working a year or 2 year ago.

What is the solution now ?

Regards,
Crazyaboutlinux.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
It's better to investigate the actual cause of the issue rather than forcing an update of the mail server software. Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look.

Thank you.

dmanager

Registered
Jun 7, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I just had this issue and the resolution was that I had changed the password to login to our mail transport. I had to update the password in the exim configuration file. (The server provider for this cPanel instance does not allow outgoing emails; emails must go through Sendgrid, or another provider).