The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tab and Space inserting odd characters in HTML editor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leam, Jun 29, 2006.

1. leam

leam Registered

One of my friends is editing web pages using the HTML editor under cPanel 10.8.2-STABLE 120. When they hit tab or space it inserts odd characters. The person is typing on a Win95 machine and the hosting server is Linux. I don't know enough Windows to know if that is the issue or if it's something else.

Suggestions?

ciao!

leam

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

3. leam

leam Registered

Thanks! Posted there as well as in the bug report. Since I and others can use the editor without the problem I'm now trying to find a workaround. Any suggestions on W95/IE browser configs to avoid this? I on Linux and other clients on other versions of Windows don't have the issue.

ciao!

leam

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Under Win95 go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Upgrade to XP.

When the upgrade is complete, open IE > Tools > Options > Advanced > Replace with FireFox.

Works every time!

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

But on a more serious note, I wouldn't bother offering support to users of legacy operating systems.

You have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise you might have to support a Win 3.11/Netscape 2 user - where can you go with that?

I choose to draw the line at the point the vendor no longer supports the product.

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not even MS supports win95 any longer. Win95 shouldn't even be connected to the Web.

7. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Seriously, I agree.

I get a suprising number of "complaints" from people who wonder why my www.snippetmaster.com software doesn't work properly with Win95/98 and IE4 or IE5.0.

I usually explain that it doesn't work, because it's kind of the same as going to a gas station with a horse and buggy and then wondering why the pump nozzle doesn't into the arse of the horse.

(ie: At some point, technology changes and no longer works with modern tools/utilities. Time to upgrade.)

:)