The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

takes to long

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liberty, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Liberty

Liberty Member

Hi, I'm installing cPanel for the second time now on Red Hat, and it takes to long before this continues:

[root@linux root]# ./cpanel-universal-install.sea
    Creating directory installd
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing cplyr1-cPanel...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ____ _
    ___| _ \ __ _ _ __ ___| |
    / __| |_) / _` | '_ \ / _ \ |
    | (__| __/ (_| | | | | __/ |
    \___|_| \__,_|_| |_|\___|_|

Installer Version 10.5.0

Fetching http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/pub/CPAN/index.html (0)....@198.66.78.11......connected......receiving...69%...100%......Done
    Linux detected!
    cPanel Layer 1 Installer Init.....
    Warning !!! Warning !!! WARNING !!! Warning !!! Warning
    -------------------------------------------------------
    cPanel requires a fresh/clean server!
    If you are serving websites off this server (and are
    not already running cPanel) this installer will
    overwrite all of your config files. You should hit
    Ctrl+C NOW!!!
    If this is a new server please ignore this messages
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Warning !!! Warning !!! WARNING !!! Warning !!! Warning
    Waiting 5 seconds........Done
    This install will take 10-70 minutes depending on your hardware.
    Now is the time to go get another cup of coffee/jolt.
    The install will log to /var/log/cpanel-install-thread0.log.
    and /var/log/cpanel-install-thread1.log.
    Installing...1......x1...2..........................................................x2...3...4......x4...5..................................x5................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Can someone help me please. I tried it like 20 times now.

2. Xenon101

Xenon101 Well-Known Member

How long are you waiting? The installer states it will take 60 mins max, this is a way understatement.

It takes 30 minutes to complete on my quad xeon 2.8ghz (x4) so you go figure, if you're running on anything under 3ghz i recon it could take way over 60 mins.

I've installed on vmware workstation 4 on a p4 3.0ghz w/1gb ram and it took me about 4 hours with centos 4.1.

3. Liberty

Liberty Member

P4 3.0 ghz also on VMware, but the last time I installed it (on another distro) it took allot less time!

4. Liberty

Liberty Member

Okay, now I found out in the log, it says:

cPanel installation start XXXXXXXX (not important)

Trying to shutdown nscd [FAILED]

and thats it. its on for an half hour now. what the heck is nscd?

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Searching in Google for nscd + OS version is probably one of your best options.

I tried, out of interest, searching in Google for "nscd centos" (without the quotes) and, lo and behold, plenty of information regarding the Name Services Cache Daemon for CentOS.

You also have the option of cPanel doing the install for you, which they will apparently do without asking for even a single penny:

#5 webignition, Nov 3, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  6. Liberty

Liberty Member

The server is for my localnetwork only, it is not accessible from the outside ;)

7. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

You mean ... no public IP?

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, that won't work. You need to have the server on an internet IP address.

9. Liberty

Liberty Member

I've done it, it just took longer then I thought. Thank you very much for your help =]