The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TCP/UDP is not a valid protocol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sexyflanders, May 8, 2014.

1. sexyflanders

sexyflanders Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    FW_Error1.PNG

Hello,

I used the official CPanel installation ISO that contained CPanel and Centos 6.5. when I run setup and goto the firewall I get the above error. When I looked at the file I see the following

--trust=lo0
    --port=21:tcp/udp
    --port=22:tcp
    --port=25:tcp
    --port=26:tcp
    --port=53:tcp/udp

What should I be setting port 21 and 53 to? TCP or UDP I know that they should be using both. I think this may be why I can't ping my server or get to any webpages outside on the actual net. I've got my server setup as a NAT in the DMZ.

Everything else CPanel appears to be working just fine everything is setup I successfully moved over from my old server to my new one.

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Port 21 is TCP, port 53 is typically UDP. The error in question references the fact that the literal output "tcp/udp" is not a correct value.

I'm not sure this would be why you can't ping though, unless you perhaps are disabling ICMP too.

3. sexyflanders

sexyflanders Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you I've made the required changes. You are right ping has nothing to do with this. I'm guessing now I just need to wait a bit more as I can't access my domains via DNS only by IP the nameservers when pinged are coming back with the correct IP addresses.

Thanks much I'll update in a few hours just in case I missed something but I'm guessing things should work themselves out. I also wanted to give you guys a heads up because your ISO was a huge help and maybe this is something you can fix in your next version.

Thanks again.

4. sexyflanders

sexyflanders Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can close this thread I got everything working. I feel really dumb. PROTIP make sure you type the CORRECT IP ADDRESS into your glue records for your nameserver. Things tend to actually run better and things resolve! I fudged one number and didn't verify before hitting save :)

Thanks for all your help Vanessa!

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator