The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tcsh history

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shacker23, Jun 8, 2005.

1. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

A customer who prefers tcsh complained that he had no history -- couldn't use the up/down arrow keys in the shell, and no .history file was being created. I tested this as a normal user with this in my .tcshrc :

set history = 50
    set savehist

logged out and in again, and he's right -- no history file, no arrow key history, no !! history.

History in other shells works fine for all users. Any idea what's breaking here or where to fix it? Thanks.

2. bijo

bijo Well-Known Member

Hello,

Please check the following file in his home directory
    .bash_history
    Or you can also find out the file by using this command in Redhat system
    echo $HISTFILE

Let me know the status.

3. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

#3 nickb, Jun 8, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  4. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

bijo, you're referring to bash, not tcsh. Again, history in bash is working fine. But thanks.

nickb - those variables are definitely present (see my initial post).

I manage two RHEL3 servers at the same datacenter, and only one of them has the problem, even though both have the exact same /bin/tcsh binary, and both have the exact same /etc/*csh* scripts. I can't for the life of me figure out where the different behavior is coming from.

Even without a ~/.cshrc or ~/.tcshrc file, the user gets tcsh history on the other server. So there really shouldn't be any need for a dotfile to get even basic history working. Something is borked. But what?

It seems that the .cshrc file is not even being read -- if I set an alias in it, log out an in again, the "alias" command does not show the new alias.

Another weird thing: On the server with this problem, I get a "limit: No such limit." when launching tcsh.

Thanks again,
    Scot