The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me about the admin account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ozzi4648, Nov 8, 2002.

1. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

I have always been baffled about the directory called /home/admin. Ever since my Cpanel was installed there is an account called admin on my server. What is it? How do i use it? Better yet, how do i log in? It doest appear anywhere in WHM when i log in so why is it there? Whats its purpose? Can it be deleted?

Is there an account where i can see everyone DB's? There has to be. I should be able to log into Cpanel and view all db's on the server as root, no matter what. Does Cpanel even have this option?

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Check in etc/passwd for an account called admin. If no account and directory is not in use. I'd say rename it and see then delete if nothing happens.

For mysql goto /var/lib/mysql this will show you all of the DB's setup on the server for each account.

/usr/bin/mysql -u root -p(Password you set in WHM for SQL)
    then you can use the &use& commmand to switch to the users databases.

3. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

[quote:9504b01461][i:9504b01461]Originally posted by dgbaker[/i:9504b01461]

Check in etc/passwd for an account called admin. If no account and directory is not in use. I'd say rename it and see then delete if nothing happens.

For mysql goto /var/lib/mysql this will show you all of the DB's setup on the server for each account.

/usr/bin/mysql -u root -p(Password you set in WHM for SQL)
    then you can use the &use& commmand to switch to the users databases.[/quote:9504b01461]

I think your under estimating my knowledge of Linux. Yes i know about mysql and the password files etc. My question really was about the purpose of the admin account. What purpose does it serve? There should be a way to list everyones databases as admin thru phpmyadmin at least every other CP allows you to do this. Cobalt, Ensim, H-Sphere all of them displays every database being used on the server to the admin or superuser. I have been able to log into the admin account on port 2087 using admin and my root pw but thats not right because as soon as i go to phpmyadmin im told that i am not using the proper password for the account. The account must be on the server for a reason but what reason is that? Again, there is not record for the admin account in WHM, there is no evidence of it in httpd.conf, you can log into it but i looks cripped, and it doesnt seem to server much purpose. There were a bunch of db's setup when i started with Cpanel yet iv never acutally seen them thru phpmyadmin. Eg Horde, test, mail etc. I just dont want to keep additional and unnecessary accounts around on the system if i dont need them.

4. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

Sorry ozzi, I didn't mean to under estimate you.

On our systems there is no admin account/directory, so I'm not sure where yours came from.

As for the DB's install a seperate phpadmin configure it for localhost and root and voila! access to all DB's including mail, mysql, horde, and all users db's.

5. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

When your NOC setup the box they most likely setup an account called admin and added it as superuser (suexec). A lot of people use to do this and still do. They don't like using root and rather use anoher with similar privliges.

6. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

thanks awsol, forgot about that, sort of like use with super accounts so root doesn't get used.

7. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

[quote:4ed1caa518][i:4ed1caa518]Originally posted by awsol[/i:4ed1caa518]

When your NOC setup the box they most likely setup an account called admin and added it as superuser (suexec). A lot of people use to do this and still do. They don't like using root and rather use anoher with similar privliges.[/quote:4ed1caa518]

My NOC handed over a plain RH 7.2 box with no accounts on it. Prior to the install of cPanel the /home/ directory did not exist. I did some software installation for a guy who runs a RH 7.3 server using a different NOC then what im using. His NOC setup cpanel on his box and he also has the /home/admin account that he cannot use.