The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temp huge backup file

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Pere Vinyeta, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Pere Vinyeta

Pere Vinyeta Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Two weeks ago I started to backup my WHM accounts with Amazon Web Services. All was running well. But lastly I have got a new and more powerful server; my idea was to be able to backup all accounts including one with 700Gb of space used. The system was running with some small accounts but on starting that of 700Gb it took a log time (obviously) and it seems it stopped the backup. Now there is not that huge account in AWS and nothing after that account. I guess it stopped and the process was broken. Additionally the system (once unticketed that file) does not start the backups and the HD shows an occupied space that I believe it is the broken file. I ask, 1. How can I make the system returns to backing up? 2. Where should I find the broken temporally file occupying lots of space? 3. How should I backup a file that size?
    Thank you!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You will need to delete the temporary file that failed to generate successfully (/home/cpbackup). Did your server reach it's disk space capacity during the backup process? Note the backup generation still occurs on the local server before it's transferred to the remote destination, so you still need the space associated with the size of the account available on the server. You may want to skip that account or exclude whichever directories use it's disk space and copy that data over manually. Documentation on excluding files is available at:

How to exclude files from backup

Thank you.