The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temporary name for site as mysite.myhosting.com not myhosting.com/~mysite

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davidosullivan, Sep 14, 2011.

1. davidosullivan

davidosullivan Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi there,

I am very new to this cpanel stuff, so new in fact that I do not even know the terminology for my question so please don't get angry if this has been asked before as I do not even know what to search for right now.

OK Question:-

When you create a site in the WHM if the site's domain name is not yet pointing to the webspace you created you can still access it by going to myhosting.com/~mysite, the trouble is that this syntax breaks alot of Joomla plugins as Joomla thinks that anything after the first / is either a sub directory or a query, which is obviously not the case.

Is it possible to change this setting anywhere so that these names are instead written and accessed by going to mysite.myhosting.com?

Also I will be adding and creating sites programatically, so its not something I can do by hand for each account as they are created, I need ANY account that is created to be accessible by the name mysite.myhosting.com if the users domain is not currently pointing to their webspace on myhosting.com...

Hope somebody understands what I am getting at there. Thanks in advance

David

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Temporary name for site as mysite.myhosting.com not myhosting.com/~mysi

Hello David,

You could setup parked subdomains on the primary domain of the account using mysite.myhosting.com where mysite is the primary domain name without the .tld portion and then try to access using it. This would have to be something you setup on your side either during account creation using a script such as /scripts/postwwwacct to create such a subdomain or after account creation. There is not a simple setting that would perform this function.

Thanks.

3. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Temporary name for site as mysite.myhosting.com not myhosting.com/~mysi

Hi David,

Perhaps you can create the devel site in mysite.myhosting.com ( which should be a sperate cPanel account ) and test and verify eveything using this URL. When everything is over, you may change all instances of mysite.myhosting.com to newsite.com in joomla ( baseurl, etc ) and rename the domain name mysite.myhosting.com to newsite.com from WHM ; it should work fine after pointing newsite.com to your server ( make sure you have changed every instance of mysite.myhosting.com to newsite.com in joomla ).

Else, you can create a new account newsite.com and set up your hosts file to point it to your server it while it is pointing to you server. You can then access newdomain.com from your browser, which is pointing to your server now. Read more about hosts file at the below URL.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

Thank you,
    Nibin.