The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

temporary remote domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dory36, Jul 8, 2004.

1. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

I frequently build sites for new customers whose domain names are already in use elsewhere.

It is most convenient for me to set things up just once, and change the name servers when the job is finished and approved.

The "gotcha" is that once I set up the domain in cpanel. then new email goes to the new local domain instead of the current remote domain.

I understand I can manually remove the domain from localdomains and add it to remotedomains. (I assume that I will have to reverse this immediately when the name servers are changed - or will externally-originated mail still get delivered to the local mailbox once the MX records point to my server?)

If that were all, I could live with the extra few steps. However, I use DRAMS+ for my billing. It does a great job of interacting with cpanel/whm and creating the domains, and sending out mail as it is doing its domain registration, host account setup, etc.

However, once it creates the hosting account, the domain suddenly becomes local, and therefore any further mail originating from my server will go to the local mailbox. This of course includes the instructions for how to get to that local mailbox :confused: since the userid and password are generated at host account creation time.

I can't be the only one who uses cpanel and DRAMS and also gets customers who already have their domain name in use -- how have others dealt with this problem?

Thanks - Bill

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Can't help with DRAMS+ I'm afraid, but I can answer this for you:
    Yes, you'd have to do that immediately. Only domains in your /etc/localdomains will be received, even if the MX record points to the local server.

However, in reply to the general gist, we always ask people who are moving their own domain to provide an alternative email address for exactly such emails. If they don't have one, you could offer them a temporary one on your own/spare domain that they should check during the move over phase.