Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Temporary website url /~username

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shirvo, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Shirvo

Shirvo Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi All,

I am having a problem with /~username for a temp url for customers.

I am currently transferring my clients over to a new server I have setup. I changed the default ip address from the main server ip to a secondary IP. Then I noticed that when I use the /~username I just get a 404 not found page.

I then changed the default IP address to my main server IP and it worked again... Then I tried again an hour later and it has stopped working.

I have never had this problem with my old server and I need it to work as before I change the nameservers on the domains over to the new server I need to test all the sites to make sure the transferred correctly.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening. I have restarted all the services and the whole server but that did nothing. I have also tried /~username/ but that didn't do anything.

2. Shirvo

Shirvo Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So I got it fixed, I just compared the two server setups and found that the new server had mod_ruid2 enabled and the old one didn't. I disabled that in the build and it now works.

The problem now is, is it bad to not have mod_ruid2 installed?

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Yes, Mod_Ruid2 is not compatible with Apache Mod_Userdir. This is documented at:

Apache Module: ModRuid2

You may want to keep Mod_Ruid2 and simply edit the hosts file on your computer to point domain names to your server before the DNS propagates instead of using the ~ URL with Apache Mod_Userdir.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...