The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terminating because fallback to ftp+cgi was not enabled.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by malhyp, Feb 6, 2013.

1. malhyp

malhyp Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi there, we have 30 websites to bring from one WHM account to another, I would like to do this one at the time though backing up, downloding, uplpoading and then setting up is not an option as some of these websites are 4gb in size.

I tried Copy an Account From Another Server With an Account Password several times with many of the accounts and have not been sucessful once. When we read how to do this it seems very simple and there is no referance to what to do when something goes wrong.

In most occasions, I get the following.

Attempting to copy justthin from domain name.com.au

Trying to fetch cpmove file via cPanel XML-API!
    Fetching current backups from remote server......0 backups found...Done
    Starting the backup...Done
    Waiting for backup to start...Done
    Checking remote server for backups.....0 backups found.
    Failed to start the backup on the remote machine (if a previous backup is in progress you will need to wait until it is complete)!
    (Trace information follows for backup start request)...
    /xml-api/cpanel?xmlin=<cpanelaction><apiversion>1</apiversion><module>Fileman</module><func>fullbackup</func></cpanelaction>
    (Trace information follows for initial backups)...
    (Trace information follows for backups after request started)...
    Failed to fetch cpmove file via cPanel XML-API.
    Terminating because fallback to ftp+cgi was not enabled.

Can anyone explain what is going wrong here, quite frustrating considering we are limited in time to make the moves. I am using the full domain name, cpanel username and password and thats all.

Rio

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It may be difficult to resolve this issue without root access to the source server. Are you able to contact your web hosting provider on the source server for assistance with this error? Also, have you considered using the "Backup" option in cPanel? You can select "Remote FTP Server" or "Secure Copy" under "Backup Destination" so that is backs up the account directly to your new server.

Thank you.

3. trochia

trochia Member

Hello Michael and thank you for the post. I am also experiencing the same 'issue' at the moment also.

I am just trying to get (1) account from another host.

a) They seemed to have removed > Remote FTP Server & Secure Copy

b) The only option they offer is a Download of complete tar..and that's not going to work...for the size of it.

In which? It generates some https://link > (I can PM it to you if needed)...but it does not place it anywhere within WinSCP reach that I see in his account.

c) I do have SSH access right now into my clients account....and my thoughts ifExists, a command line I could run similar to:

/scripts/cpbackup --force

Yet, direct it into a directory with his access so I could see if I could scp -P 22 -r the file over? But they mugh have that locked also..

I think there should be a stipulation with regards to who-owns-what [smile] as far as cPanels code used on others.. Never thought about that until this problem now... Nick still calling the shots? <wink>

#3 trochia, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You will not be able to backup the account with the cPanel backup utility with SSH access alone. You must have root SSH access to run that script. You may want to consult with your hosting provider to see if they can generate the archive for you.

Thank you.

5. trochia

trochia Member

Good morning Michael and thank you very much for the reply. Not long ago, just spent 1.5 hour battle of Online Chat after a 45 minute wait time with them.

re: You will not be able to backup the account with the cPanel backup utility with SSH access alone

1) They have removed all cPanel Backup options other than simple download (which is unacceptable as I am on a wireless connection, and it is a large file) that used to exist with them. They now have "locked them out" as a $19.99 per year upgrade? As well as placing a copy in the account it self, and over the FTP/SCP also.

FAce it, you guys will have to change "your tune" in advertising this product.
    http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs/BackupWizard

I am sure, that this is an infringement? I have emailed Brian (and also Nick) as I would like to get to the bottom it in that respect...

re: You may want to consult with your hosting provider to see if they can generate the archive for you.

2) Yes, they offered this, but I should not have to wait 2 hours etc...and be able to generate or copy using WHM to the new Server, as I have always done no problem in the past?

3) I have also tried server to server = scp -P 22 -r

As then I simply will need to pull only the smaller MySQL

Any other suggestions please?

Jim

#5 trochia, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Unfortunately, we do not have control over the actions of an independent web hosting company. However, we are happy to provide you guidance on finding the best alternative to transferring the account to a different server. You mentioned a copy of the account was placed within their home directory. Is that accurate, or is that to indicate the hosting company has prevented you from storing a backup archive of the account in it's home directory? If a backup archive is available, and SSH access is available, you should be able to fetch the archive through SCP from the destination machine.

Could you elaborate on the specific concern you are having with this option? Note that if a web hosting company decides to restrict or limit this option, that is is outside of our control.

The underlying issue here is that root access to the source server is required if you want to manually generate a backup of the account through the /scripts/pkgacct utility. The inability to transfer an account using the "Copy an Account with the Account Password" option will need to be addressed by an administrator with root access to that server.

While obtaining the directory structure is helpful for a manual transfer of the website files, it's not going to help you to transfer the account itself. If you choose to use this method, it's better to create the account on the destination server first, and then manually copy over the website files and databases as needed.

Thank you.

7. trochia

trochia Member

re: Unfortunately, we do not have control over the actions of an independent web hosting company.

You are telling me than, what cPanel promotes, leases and SELLS these options and others then offer cPanel and "degrade" is legal? I have an email in with Nick about this.

I know a "retemplating" is allowed, but turning around removing featuresand charging AGAIN for something that cPanel BOST's

That is for sure an anti-trust issue

re: You mentioned a copy of the account was placed within their home directory
    1) No, they have not placed a copy of backup in the root home dir.

Again, this does me no good having to qwait hours for this, as I need to
    a) First set up acct and show clinet it is working as it is now on new server
    b) I can not take it live until the weekend wee hours of the morning, I will need to do this as fast as possible and not have to WAIT for some Flunkie at (I will say the host very soon) and simply in the past been able to use WHM to Copy/account w/out other host Root access with out a single issue.

c) They are trying to UPSELL to a VPS or DEDI, or Reseller..

If we pop for the reseller upgrade, will this be enough for me to use WHM on my side and simply use WHM copy account?

Here's the deal!! My "new" customer has over $ 15,000.00 inveted since 2008 in his website. They are FORCING him to Upgrade from Joomla 1.5.26 and "scaring him" with the reason of Security, and we all know they need to upgrade on there end.

2) It looks like now, they *have* put a copy of pkgacct > -rwxr-xr-x 1 perfectr perfectr 1844292 Oct 17 21:09 pkgacct*

I should be able to run it?

3) BUT!! I had made headway with SCP prior, now it reports (from there server)

acctName@theWebsite.net [~]# scp -P 22 -r /home1/acctName myServerIP:/home/stephen

ssh: connect to host 199.193.252.228 port 22: Connection timed out
    lost connection

#7 trochia, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  8. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    For the most reliable transfer that is inclusive of all cPanel account data, I would suggest allowing the hosting provider to generate a full cPanel account backup (archive). The practice of requesting a hosting company to generate a full cPanel account backup archive is not uncommon; in my professional opinion and from experience I believe this would be the next most viable option in terms of time and cost saving (without having to temporarily upgrade the existing account to a VPS or other dedicated solution from the same hosting provider).

I understand it would be ideal and certainly simplify the process if all hosting providers permitted access to the Backup Wizard in cPanel; however, each hosting provider is different and is free to implement their own backup mechanisms and infrastructure. Using cPanel backups in addition to their own backup systems may be redundant. Furthermore, allowing all users to generate backups on-demand may affect performance if too many users initiate them at the same time. I have also seen instances where cPanel users generate multiple backups but leave them without significant purpose, sometimes also extracted and adding to unnecessary cruft. These are at least a few reasons why a hosting provider may prefer that only their Support department generate backups, upon request.