The Age old Add-on Domain / Sub-domain conflict

pingram3541

Registered
Jan 22, 2017
soCal
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi everyone, I'm new here but not to the web world.

I just wanted to see what others had to say about this limitation in every cpanel I've ever managed domains/hosting accounts in that every add-on domain creates a sub-domain under the primary account domain and every web host says its how cpanel works.

It's 2017 folks, does no one care that this is a waste of resources? Creating one thing to facilitate the other?

For example, if I own devserver.com (my domain) and it is my primary domain and I add production.com (my client's domain) as an add-on domain it typically results in also creating production.devserver.com which limits me from ever using that sub-domain as a separate stand alone domain entirely by itself.

For example, this would be perfect for me to have development servers setup where every sub-domain is the full domain name of my client but existing on my own domain.

Additionally, I know I can use CloudFlare for example to point that sub-domain elsewhere as long as it doesn't exist on the cpanel server, I can have my cake then, but that's not what I really want to do here, especially in regards to hosting consolidation.

I know this is splitting hairs as I can just create some other sub-domain like dev.production.com or production2.devserver.com but seriously, this feels like its just the accepted norm and no one has a problem with it or I just can't find anyone talking about it in terms of change and what we can now do in the world wide web.

pingram3541

Registered
Jan 22, 2017
soCal
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

You can leave the invite code blank when signing up for a new account.

Thank you.