The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The backup drive will not mount, nor-unmount. A very strange issue.

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by jols, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jols

jols Well-Known Member

This is our first CloudLinux/cPanel server which was just put on line a few weeks ago.

When entering this:

mount -a

or this

mount sdb1

I get this:

/dev/sdb1 already mounted or /backup busy

But df shows that the /backup drive is not mounted.

Any attempt to unmount the drive via shell just gets me a message that the drive is not mounted.

This server is a three drive system, with two of the drive in a RAID, mirroring array, and the /backup drive is the third slave (?) drive that is just and only used for backups.

A server reboot gets the situation back to normal, but then a few days later i get this email message from the server:

The backup was not able to be completed because /backup could not be mounted.

... and the problem re-emerges.

This is really quite concerning. Anyone else encounter this one? Any idea what the resolution may be?

Thanks much.

2. jols

jols Well-Known Member

After another reboot, and some amount of work on the part of our datacenter, the drive is now mountable and unmountable, but something I am noticing is that a file named ".backupmount_locks" remains in the backup directory once the backup drive is unmounted. It's also there when the drive is mounted.

The contents of this file is as follows:

cpbackup=1357559735
    cpbackup_mount=1357559622

This is different from all of our other servers, however this is our first Cloudlinux server so perhaps this is peculiar to this OS? Or is this some indication of a problem?

3. jols

jols Well-Known Member

The problem just cropped up again, as it does every three days or so. I have to actually reboot the server to get the backup drive up and running again.

Anyone know what may be causing this?

4. hgrg

hgrg Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    did you run a filesystem check?
    fsck

5. jols

jols Well-Known Member

No, at least I don't think fsck has been run recently. Is there anyway to do this just for the backup drive?

6. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Okay, I do see that fsck can be run on just a single drive/partition.

Another related general question. What's the logic behind having the cPanel system unmount a backup drive once the backup is complete? I had assumed this is for increased security, but as a tech just now pointed out to me, if the server is rooted, it would be fairly trivial for the hacker or even a root kit to just mount everything with "mount -a". So what's the point of this I wonder?

7. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Whether cpbackup mounts or unmounts a backup drive is a configurable option. In Home -> Backup -> Configure Backup, disable Remount/Unmount Backup Drive

The option is there for the convenience of customers.

UPDATE

Also, since you mentioned CloudLinux, I believe there is an incompatibility with the mount/unmount functionality in cpbackup on CloudLinux systems. If you don't need that functionality, I suggest you disable it.

#7 cPanelKenneth, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  8. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Thanks very much cpanelkenneth.

Regarding, "Also, since you mentioned CloudLinux, I believe there is an incompatibility with the mount/unmount functionality in cpbackup on CloudLinux systems. If you don't need that functionality, I suggest you disable it."

I wish I would have known this two weeks ago. Many long nights have been spent, along with a small pile of trouble tickets with both cPanel.net and our data center in trying to figure this one out.

In any case, I am still wondering at the basic logic of having the backup system mount, then unmount. The advent of this recent issue has caused me to question this logic, in general.

Thanks again for your input.

9. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I would think if that drive was not mounted and there was some sort of issue, corruption of the main drive file system or something, that the backups on the backup drive would be unaffected, and hopefully, safe. I do the same thing locally, I have an external backup drive I mount to move important backups to, and then umount that drive, segregating it from the system for safe keeping.

It's another drive that's setup only for backups, why not umount it?

10. jols

jols Well-Known Member

With regard to, "....segregating it from the system for safe keeping"; Safe keeping? Are you sure that by unmounting the drive your data is being kept safe by this?

This is the logic I am questioning at this time.

11. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Never had a problem I couldn't get out of with good, proper backups. YMMV. :)

12. stormy

stormy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have been bitten by this bug, as well. The only option is to leave the drive mounted all the time.