Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

The chkservd process has become non-responsive and resulted in server crash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sarah_techbae, Oct 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sarah_techbae

Sarah_techbae Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I recently got my website switched to a VPS server with WHM+Cpanel. Everything went good and the performance also got better. But after couple of days, my website got down with the above error message, "The chkservd process has become non-responsive". Due to this, I was not even able to log into WHM as well. I tried contacting to my Hosting adminwhich went into vain. So, I started scrambling on internet for a quick solution (when I got into this forum as well - The chkservd process has become non-responsive). This thread was also not much helpful as no clear solution was provided. After much research I found out that, this error came up due to a sudden load on my website which caused the website to crash. Although, the number of visitors were not so many that it could lead to this error. Later, I came to know that some of the services were installed on my website which was causing unwanted load on the server. Restarting the server solved the problem and then I had to uninstall all the unwanted services as well. Hope it helps you all facing the same issue! :)

2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I won't be able to give you an exact solution but based on your description I am guessing that something on your site allowed malware to get launched. If you are running a php program like wordpress, drupal, etc then you need to make sure that its fully up to date. Core files, plugins, themes etc.

You should also probably install maldet to scan your site files form lingering malware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi @Sarah_techbae,

I'm glad to see you were able to solve the issue. Can you elaborate on the specific services or plugins you removed? Were these plugins on your website applications, or services associated with the server itself?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...