The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Connection has timed out

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by getnetphnx, Feb 25, 2010.

1. getnetphnx

getnetphnx Registered

Have a box running cPanel 11.24.4 which was running fine until yesterday - got a call from a customer that they couldn't access their control panel but their site was still running. When I tried to access the WHM page, I got "The connection has timed out - The server at XXX.XXX.XXX is taking too long to respond." The server is under a very low load, and it appears that the cpanel software is running. I know that apache is running because all the customer sites are up, but I can't get into any of the control panel pages. Searching around, I found another user who had the same issue several years ago - http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/connection-has-timed-out-59454.html - but nobody ever answered his post. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#1 getnetphnx, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    cPanel 11.25 has been pushed all the way down to STABLE now, and I'd strongly suggest you upgrade to that before wasting too much time troubleshooting this issue.

Code:
    /scripts/upcp
    from the shell

Or

Main >> cPanel >> Upgrade to Latest Version

3. garrettp

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You need to purchase a 1 year update package from your license provider. Contact them and they should be able to help you out.

verify.cpanel.net will give you an idea of when your updates contract expired.

Edit: I don't know how my post appeared above yours...

4. getnetphnx

getnetphnx Registered

Unfortunately I cannot upgrade - when I try to it says "Sorry, update privileges have expired for this license. Update halted to prevent installation of an incompatible build." I bought this license several years ago as a 1 time payment unlimited license - I guess they only do continual update service for the people who pay monthly. Any other ideas?

5. getnetphnx

getnetphnx Registered

Updating

I'm slightly concerned that if I buy the update extender and try to update the software that I'll end up in a worse situation than I'm in now - out $160 with a machine that doesn't work at all vs. out no dollars with a machine that halfway works. Is there any danger in running an update on a machine where I can't even get the cpanel software to work?

6. getnetphnx

getnetphnx Registered

updating

I have purchased the update extender on the cpanel website with a cc - how long does it take for that license update to be effective? When I look at the license status in my list of licenses, it still shows that the updates expired a couple years ago.

7. garrettp

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    That's a question for cPanel. Usually it's just a matter of marking updates as active.